Seed suppliers bad year 2018?

• 5 Replies

Christine

Seed suppliers bad year 2018?
« on: August 07, 2018, 17:38 »
If all us gardeners have had a tough season and the vegetable growers are saying the same - what will the seed supplies look like next season? And what chance of seed sales? Will suppliers be holding onto stock that will still be in date next season?

It's a thought.

wighty

Re: Seed suppliers bad year 2018?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 19:05 »
I have planted Cobra beans five times in the greenhouse , even ones  from a new  packet, no take on any of them, this is the third year I've not grown any courgettes, despite a new   packet of seed.  Thankfully have a good stock of them in the freezer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 19:33 »
I think, where possible - I will just finish up the packets I opened this year, plus a few things I'd run out of, that I have already bought in some early sales. Hopefully that'll do me until 2020, if I'm still growing then  ::)

If you need new seed stock keep an eye on the Frugal Living threads, as seed sales/offers are usually listed there at this time of year, it will still be seed from last year's harvest you are buying...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 20:08 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:53 »
Seed production is a truly global operation and there are many stages to go through before they end up in your little packet. One of them of course is testing for viability - I guess it's a matter of how cynical you are whether you think all suppliers are equally diligent when it comes to getting it right every time.

Personally, I think it's quite likely that some 'no-shows', or seeds which seem to lose viability much quicker than you might expect even when stored in good conditions, have somehow slipped through the quality control net.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Christine

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 17:40 »
I was thinking more of the possible shortage of seeds to sell as a result of a the growing season. If we've had crop failures and the suppliers have had crop failures - well who knows what there will be next season.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 20:05 »
That's why I've already bought the seeds I will need for next year, as long as they have long enough dates on they should be ok to use. I save my own pea seed, tomato seed and some of my beans, so no worry about those.

The one thing that may be a worry, and probably more expensive, I think, is seed potato stock - if mine were anything to go by - very low harvests this year :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 20:07 by mumofstig »

xx
Seed suppliers

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 12:55
by J_B
xx
Seed suppliers

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 18:37
by sunshineband
xx
seed suppliers

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 15:04
by abraidwood
xx
Veg seed suppliers

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 14:30
by DD.

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 40 queries.