Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

• 4 Replies

Chuckiemum

Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...
« on: February 27, 2010, 23:16 »
I'm a newbie chicken owner..since last summer anyway, and am hoping you can help me with some advice on hatching eggs with a broody hen.

My little partridge wyandotte has gone broody and I would like to get some eggs for her to hatch. She is best friends with a little lavender banty and they do everything together and I'm wondering if I can keep them together in their ark when the wyandotte has her eggs OR do they need separating OR can I give the lavender some eggs as well ( seeing as she is spending all her time in with the wyandotte ! )
Oh and how many eggs is best..is it the more the merrier ie 6 or best to keep it to just a few ?
 Thanks....look forward to hearing from you !

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 23:25 »
I would seperate her and put her in a broody ark, but first of all you need to think about the cockerels that you will get - what will you do with them as they are difficult to rehome.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chuckiemum

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 23:34 »
Thanks for that advice  joyfull.......I actually have a friend who would take any cockerels so thats a big help !
A broody ark ?...silly question probably but what do I need to provide her with while she's brooding then?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 23:39 by Chuckiemum »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:37 »
You need a small ark - no perch necessary - where she is undercover and safe where she can sit on the eggs, attached to this there needs to be a run with galvanised wire mesh with small holes to allow the chicks when born to wander onto the grass and eat drink and poo. Before you embark on this venture I would suggest that you get hold of a good chicken book (Katie Thear does some good ones) and read up about it, this way you can be prepared. the hen will need to be forced off the eggs a couple of times a day to make sure she eats drinks and poohs, you will need lice treatment - sitting hens are prone to problems as they are so inactive- you need a shallow drinker (if just a dish then place marbles in it to stop the chicks drowning ) a shallow feeder, chick crumbs either with anti cocci in or if organic then get some coxoid in stock (this is always handy anyway to have in your first aid box). When the chicks are born then don't worry if she doesn't show them what to do for a day or so as she will still be incubating some more - only when she is sure that no more are going to be born will she get off her nest and teach the chicks what to do. Watch the other hens as they could kill the little ones as could large wild birds etc.
Hope this helps you a little  :)

Chuckiemum

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 14:41 »
Thanks for all the info !!! The book I have doesn't cover hatching etc so I will look for the author you recommend.
Thanks again..may post some pictures if/when we manage to hatch some !!!

xx
Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 15:49
by moomintroll
xx
hatching advice needed

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 11:07
by themagicaltoad1
xx
hatching concern-advice needed quickly

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 13:26
by Casey76
xx
Hatching duck eggs advice needed

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 16:55
by joyfull

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.