Introducing Hybrids to Bantams

• 6 Replies

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« on: December 12, 2006, 20:45 »
I have three pekin bantams and will soon be getting two (laying) hybrids.

What is the best way to introduce them - there seem to be so many conflicting ideas.

1) Put them in the same hen house when it is dark - the when they wake up they will all be hunky dory

2) Give them seperate accommodation for a week, then let them mix

3) Keep them apart at all times.

Anyone know the average life span of a hybrid.  I read that they are breed to lay a certain number of eggs then they just die.  

The poultry farms seem to keep them for 18 - 24 months then get rid of them, so I was told.
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 20:50 »
option 2 is the best i have buff orps and wellys and other breeds and i allow this method only after having had banties killed by a cockerel feeling he was able to mate with any bird no matter its size . banties will lay as long as you keep them happy. do not over feed them as with any other bird,, treat all chickens the same ...... cos that what they are  :roll: ... hope that helps  :lol:  :wink:

second part of option 2 . if you want to keep your breeds pure  .do not mix them :shock: .. that cockerel wont worry about putting his gfs on boxes if that sexy bantam gives him the come on  :wink:
still alive /............

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 20:53 »
just a note ... poultry farms have to cull out to obtain maximum return from thier chickens ... if you only keep a few birds you do not have to go to these limits  :wink:

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 20:53 »
Thanks for that - so seperate house/run then just let them mix and share accommodation if they want too.  Great.

Thanks for that.

Any idea on the life span of a hybrid bred for the poultry egg laying industry?

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 20:56 »
2yrs  after that the egg production goes off as they have false conditions layed on them.. miserable birds equal no eggs ..miserable wife = no nooky....... moulting  (needing money for  a new dress no nookie )means no eggs ,, see the simalarities guys     :lol:

kooringa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 21:14 »
What are you like.   :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

So does that mean that the hybrids will live for a couple of years then just keel over (which is what I have read).

And will the same happen to the banties as they are all female.  I can't have a cockrell in my garden.

It is not a big issue - I just need to know that's all - so that I don't get attached to them. :roll:

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 21:32 »
your birds are not ,not not subject to the same conditions as poultry farms , they live a different life altogether . they ahve all the attention they need unlike poultry farms they get fed in the morning eggs colllected locked up at night end of . you feed yours in the morning talk to them papmper tem etc . a wild bird lives a shorter life than a kept bird ..... enjoy tem for as long as they live ... i have a couple of chickens one being a silkie she is nearly 10 yrs old. a buff bantamof 7 yrs .. yehhhhhh i have about 200 birds ( they wont stay still long enough to count em  ) and i know the birds who is who etc .they will not keel over after stopping laying they just go broody and try to take over the pen .lol

xx
introducing 2 pure breeds, with 4 hybrids....problems!!

Started by jakes-old-man on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 08:40
by jakes-old-man
question
POL Warrens or hybrids to buy in WYork area ? And advice about introducing pls?

Started by chickengeorgina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 13:43
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Introducing new bantams and it is not working ?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2016, 21:28
by grinling
xx
Hybrids

Started by Des C on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 10:48
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.