wormery

• 2 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
wormery
« on: June 02, 2013, 18:59 »
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this sorry if it's not and thanks in advance for moving if needed.

Has or does anyone use a wormery?  Is it more effective then a compost heap? is there any benefits over a compost heap?

I started one up a few weeks ago in a recycle bin which you get from your local council, i have been digging over my compost bins at the allotment for the worms, i found a web site that said you need a good few to get it going.  I hope it works out, any thoughts please.

Thanks Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Trillium

Re: wormery
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:50 »
The worms basically do the composting for you and leave behind a very potent 'tea' that you must dilute to feed your plants. The finished compost, known as castings, needs to be cleared of worms and applied sparingly to whatever needs a good feeding. Again, it's quite potent.

You'll get something more quickly from a wormery but it's still a slow process as you cannot over fill your container and expect the worms to munch through everything within two weeks or so. They too are gourmets and prefer fresher food rather than rotting food. But they do not eat grass, twigs, old plants, etc.

So there are benefits to both methods and if you have the space, it's a great idea to have both. Your fresh produce waste can go to the worms and not the local critters, and the compost bin can handle old plants, leaves, twigs, etc.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Re: wormery
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 19:34 »
thanks for your reply i was thinking of adding one next too my compost bins on the plot, but thought i would start of small first.  :)

xx
Second wormery

Started by Offwego on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2022, 14:49
by Offwego
xx
Wormery

Started by loubylou29 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 12:33
by weeeed
xx
Wormery

Started by julyjune on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 22:21
by Trillium
xx
Re: Composting wormery - mites

Started by Frizzle1 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 13:51
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.