Organic Lawn

• 7 Replies

tribs

Organic Lawn
« on: May 07, 2013, 14:50 »
I have decided to try and keep my lawn organic so I can use the clippings in my compost without worry.

I was wondering what organic fertilisers are best. I know I can use lawn clippings and sieved compost. Can I use Fish Blood and Bone, Bonemeal, or coffee grounds as well? What about lime?

Cheers

tribs

allotmentann

Re: Organic Lawn
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 16:22 »
Human 'liquid waste' is great too! :) ;) Coffee grounds are high in nitrogen, it depends how far you want to take the organic thing, are the grinds organic or the human 'liquid' either for that matter! This is something I am not sure about when claiming to garden organically. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 19:16 »
As long as you don't use a weed killer on your lawn - you'll be able to use the clippings ;)

There's nothing in normal lawn feed ( as long as it's not 'feed and weed' ) that would stop you using the clippings in your compost. You could use a seaweed spray to green it up  :)

tribs

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 13:28 »
I am not adverse to using chemicals as such. But I have the other stuff already and wondered if I could use it. I also have a limitless supply of coffee grinds being nuts about freshly ground coffee :blush:

tribs

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43 »
I could do with some more advice.

1) The rear lawn was laid last year and is mostly weed free but is a bit patchy. I have overseeded and the new grass shoots are between half to an inch high, but the old grass is 4-5inches now and could really do with a trim. Am I best waiting for the new shoots to get a bit longer or would I be ok to mow on the highest setting?

2) The front lawn is established but is ridden with weeds, mainly creeping buttercup. I think it requires weed killer to get it back into shape but as I have only one mower do I run the risk of getting weed killer residue into my compost when I put the rear lawn clippings in?

cheers

tribs

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 15:19 »
If the new shoots are already up, then it's safe to mow the grass but if possible try not to walk on the new sprouts areas just yet. I'd just push the mower forward as far as I could reach and move to different sides to finish cutting. The new sprouts won't die if trod on but they'll do better if you avoid stepping on them just yet.

For the treated lawn clippings, there will be some chemical residue but usually not that much to worry about in the compost. I'd avoid spraying and then cutting too soon afterward. Let a few rain showers water the residue off the leaves and into the soil before cutting and gathering the clippings. It might look a bit of a jungle for a while if you're not getting much rain, but it's the best option if that is a concern for you.

tribs

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 16:48 »
Thanks Trillium.

On the second point, I will not be composting the treated clippings but some may remain in the bag of the mower and may just make it in there. If it is low risk then I won't worry about it.

cheers

tribs

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 21:09 »
I have decided to try and keep my lawn organic so I can use the clippings in my compost without worry.

I was wondering what organic fertilisers are best. I know I can use lawn clippings and sieved compost. Can I use Fish Blood and Bone, Bonemeal, or coffee grounds as well? What about lime?

Cheers

tribs

Hello,

"Organic" is probably the worst described word in gardening terms since Gardeners World through Jeff Hamilton was converted!¬

"Organic" fertilizers are all obtained by the utmost cruel means, living things have to be killed to obtain them!

Fish, Blood and Bone means millions of cattle and sheep are killed and billion of sand-eels are hoovered out of the sea to make it, and chicken pellets are made on the suffering of billions of caged chickens that will never see the light of day except when they are being transported to their deaths!

Now nitrogen can be  converted from from the air, but that's inorganic to some!
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
Is it possible to have a lawn in an organic garden?

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2018, 09:54
by JayG
xx
new lawn help please

Started by grinling on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 16:34
by grinling
xx
My Lawn

Started by digital_biscuit on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 12:21
by arugula
xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.