anti pecking bits

• 3 Replies

grumpydad

anti pecking bits
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:49 »
we have one, plymouth rock bantam, who pecks the bottoms of the other 5 hens, including 2 wyandotte, and a rhode island red and the other 2 bantams.
have tried spraying the bottoms of the other 5 with gentian violet, and also with an anti peck spray, which works for a short while.
have fitted a bumper bit, but the others all had a go at the bit and pulled it off her, i think they thought it was food !!!.
could do with chicken obedience classes....in the mean time, does anyone have any otherr suggestions, i dont really want to seperate her from the others unless i have no other options, as i dont think that this will work either, she is a real digger and forages most of the day.

martyn

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: anti pecking bits
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51 »
Dont say those bits don't work as I have ordered some for my 2 bullies  :(.
Perhaps you could put one on all of them then the couldn't get them off each other  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:26 »
We (tried to) put them on all 6 of ours but 2 were scratched off almost immediately and another has just lost hers. The feathers were regrowing nicely but one has now started pecking again, so we need to have another tussle with 3 of them.

They are a 2 man job to fit unless your hens are really passive. It's tricky, but important, to get the ends into their nostrils under the flaps and make sure they're squeezed as tight as you dare without causing harm.
They sulked badly for a day or two to the extent that they hardly ate first day and I was very close to removing them but thanks to support from chickenlady, we stuck with them and they are happy enough now.

ROb 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:30 »
well mine have not arrived in todays post so the girls or should that be thugs are having to stay in the cooler for another day. They don't like it having been free ranged all the time I've had them but for the sake of the three newbies then needs must.

xx
anti peck bits

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 22:12
by anitaws
xx
anti hen pecking spray

Started by westie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 17:06
by Lost in France
xx
ANTI PECKING ADVISE PLEASE

Started by carolena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 15:38
by Casey76
xx
anti pecking rings

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 21:53
by evie2

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 39 queries.