Controlling perennials

• 7 Replies

BuddingGrower

Controlling perennials
« on: January 21, 2014, 17:01 »
Hi,

Hope everyone is having a good January, not too set back by the cold snap!

I explained in an older post about my plot - it's lain dormant for years and I cleared it and dug it up in November last year to try and revive it for growing again.

Anyway, it was largely left over December to let the frost get at it. However, a load of green shoots appeared in January, most likely ground elder. What is the best approach to take with these? I forked over half of it today, to bury the shoots under the soil, then realised I probably just buried the seeds/roots even deeper and this may not have been the best approach!

Is it better to let them grow a little bigger and pull them out? Or perhaps to just cut the tops off with a hoe?

Thanks,
T

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: Controlling perennials
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 17:59 »
there are a few ways with ground elder either smother it for 12 months at least with cardboard or membrane, or dig it out, you will aways find a little comes back and you need to repeat and spraying which i don't do cus i'm organic.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

diospyros

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 18:12 »
You can also eat it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 18:15 »
Most perennial plants, by definition, regrow every year whether the foliage dies back in winter or not - in theory a perennial which is repeatedly hoed off to destroy the top growth will eventually give up, but not necessarily before you do!  :nowink:

Ground Elder is very tough and persistent, and needs to be dug out thoroughly (like couch grass, it can regenerate from the smallest root fragment.)

An alternative is to try a glyphosate-based weedkiller when it starts to regrow, although it may well take more than one application and therefore put the area out of commission for most of the season.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 18:16 »
Yes, it is edible... in fact it was imported as a food plant which escaped.

We had it in our garden when we first moved here. I dug out as much as I could and then covered the area with membrane, with bark chips on top for a year. No little shoots after that  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BuddingGrower

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 18:57 »

We had it in our garden when we first moved here. I dug out as much as I could and then covered the area with membrane, with bark chips on top for a year. No little shoots after that  :lol:

Really?? It didn't reappear? That's amazing. But that would mean no veg for the whole year... I don't know if I can face that. Can I just continue as usual and hoe it off as it appears? I'm still digging out the plot on a continual basis before I plant anything so I will carry on digging out as much off the GE as I can.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 20:08 »
It's my favourite worst and most evil weed that one - decidedly more trouble that bindweed, dandelions and nettles. The roots must come out. There are no two ways round it so far as I know. You have either to dig every last bit out or to spray it. If you spray it, buy a glyphosate based weedkiller neat (not ready mixed) and then apply this stronger than the recommended mix making sure to get the green growth. That's from experience working in other people's gardens over a number of years.

At least be glad it's not mare's tail.  :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 20:13 by Christine »

sion01

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 14:29 »
Luckily :unsure: i wasn't an organic gardener when I took over my garden so I just blitzed everything with glyphosate to begin with so everything was killed.The secret is with glyphosate is to let it have enough time to really get down into the roots before cultivating so that it does get time to kill them completely.Up to six weeks if you can wait.It also works best and at it's quickest when the weeds are really growing after the weather has warmed up.

I'm afraid its a stark choice.Inorganic-quicker results.Organic-cover for a year and be prepared for some still to make a reappearance.

I'd go for chemicals first,convert latter :D

xx
Controlling bush tomatoes

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 09:57
by mumofstig
smiley
Controlling weeds for beginners

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 18:58
by RichardA
xx
Controlling invading couch grass in a raised bed.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 00:55
by peapod
xx
natural treatments for controlling white fly and caterpillars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 08:13
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 40 queries.