Horsetail - Marestail Problem Weed Eradication

• 26 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"

The theory is that all plants need sunlight, but in perennial weeds a food store is then built up in its root system which is why it keeps coming back.  Remove the sunlight over a long period and it must eventually die or be very weakened as it uses up that food store.  If it works, I admit it may take a few years but I've already had experience of trying to dig up bindweed over and over again, hence a different (ahem, lazy) approach this time....

Tried this too and it did kind of work, it certainly knocked it back to a managable level and then to coninue with digging has almost cleared it, it is THE most persistant weed there is in my books and it takes a lot to beat it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Stevie P

Marestail Eradication
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:50 »
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.  I will get a photo soon and will just get my head down and keep weeding at present.  I do have some Roundup and may well try it in small areas this Spring.
Now to chit the early potatoes
Thanks for looking

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Marestail Eradication
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 15:25 »
Quote from: "Stevie P"
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.  I will get a photo soon and will just get my head down and keep weeding at present.  I do have some Roundup and may well try it in small areas this Spring.
Now to chit the early potatoes

Round up is most effictive in the autumn as thats when the plant is storing food, in the spring it is using the stored food so wont take as much down to the root.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Horsetail- Marestail
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 15:27 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "Aidy"
if you look at lawns you will never see it why "never let it see Sunday"  :wink:  (sorry off to naughty step)

Oh Aidy -  you get a credit note for quoting Aunty  :wink:  :lol:

Is that a get off the step for free card then Aunty? So I can be a naughty boy and not get told off, yippeeeeeee

wellingtons

Just keep digging it out where you can ...
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 15:54 »
... and hoeing it where you can.  It's hard to shift, but actually isn't too much of a problem if you keep on top of it.

I prefer not to blast it a weedkiller, because I'm really not convinced that any weed killer can get right down to the roots of the thing.

For the sheer hell of it in my first year I dug a hole round one to see how far the root went ... well ... I was digging the hole with a trowel and when I was arm deep in the hole and in danger of falling in, there was no sign of the root doing anything other than keeping on going downwards!  

I know weeding is hard work but every now and then though you get a good tug on one and several feet of root comes out ... now how satisfying is that!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 16:10 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
if you look at lawns you will never see it why "never let it see Sunday"  :wink:  (sorry off to naughty step)

Oh Aidy -  you get a credit note for quoting Aunty  :wink:  :lol:

Is that a get off the step for free card then Aunty? So I can be a naughty boy and not get told off, yippeeeeeee

But only ONCE  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 20:07 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "Hopalong"
Roundup.   The manufactureres claim that it IS organic
I cannot agree with their assertion, sorry.

A Search for glyphosate will match 142 posts on these forums, many of them in http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10019 so you these may present a more objective balance.

I, for one, would not trust Monsanto to honestly tell me the correct time of day, let alone anything which might affect their share price.

Can I just say I agree totally with what WG says  :shock:  glyphosate is not "organic", the only context to correctly call organic is in it's chemical make up as it contains carbon this makes  it an organic compound in the chemical sense but not IMHO in the agricultural sense.

So monsanto can hide behind that statement, I'm sure neither the HDRA or the FOE would consider the use of glyphosate good environmental practice

"Glyphosate is a weak organic acid. Its chemical name is N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine." sourced from www.foe.co.uk/resource/reports/impacts_glyphosate.pdf

I'm sure that some of the chemist's on here could add or clarify/amened the above. Long while since I did chemistry at school  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 09:37 »
I know that horsetail favours acidic conditions so I wondered how people fared when liming their soil?  I have taken the digging/roundup/weedproof membrane approach which is weakening the horsetail but it's still there.  I will be liming the soil for brassicas next week so it will be interesting to see if the horsetail comes back as strong.

paintedlady

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 09:47 »
liming didn't seem to knock back the ones in my garden, but to be fair I didn't put that much down
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 10:09 »
Quote from: "gregmcalister"
I know that horsetail favours acidic conditions so I wondered how people fared when liming their soil?  I have taken the digging/roundup/weedproof membrane approach which is weakening the horsetail but it's still there.  I will be liming the soil for brassicas next week so it will be interesting to see if the horsetail comes back as strong.

One thing I did notice the first year I grew sprouts was I gave the ground a good doze of lime, it knocked them that year but a couple of years down the line and it came back witha vegence. I have learned to live and control it as I know I will never get rid.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
marestail
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 17:02 »
I've got it to.  Roundup did make a difference on my plot. It didn't kill it just made it stop growing and look sick.  I have dug a third of my plot up a pulled as much as I could including the roots, which go all the way to Australia!!!.  My plan is to have a mix of raised beds with bigger areas for the bigger veggies such as potatoes.  I don't think I will ever get rid of it either - just manage it.  Hope it means my veg will grow just as well.

Lulu :lol:
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

mushroom

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 17:55 »
It depends really how they phrase it. I mean, is it "look at me, i'm organic" or is it "list of ingredients - organic acids etc etc"

xx
horsetail/marestail

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 16:43
by surbie100
xx
Horsetail/marestail killer

Started by grumpyoldb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 21:51
by grumpyoldb
xx
Severe weed problem

Started by argaric on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2007, 21:29
by fatbelly
xx
big problem (knot weed)

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 17:45
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 39 queries.