Leek varieties to choose for successional harvest

• 7 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Leek varieties to choose for successional harvest
« on: November 23, 2014, 17:22 »
Perhaps foolishly, I agreed to make leek, egg and cheese gratin for dinner tonight before checking that we had some leeks in...
The superstores are shut and none of the local shops had any in - so I headed to the plot in the dark and furtled around in my leek beds.
I'd not looked to closely at them for a week or two but had thought they looked bigger than they actually were. I've (hopefully) pulled enough to make dinner (phew) but the leek beds will look decimated in the morning light. Any particular tips for feeding them to help them bulk up?
What varieties do people recommend to get an extended harvest period - I guess you could perhaps harvest from early autumn till early spring I you do it right?

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Leek varieties to choose for successional harvest
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 17:30 »
I grew Zermatt this year and they have certainly been speedy. Have been picking them for about 6-8 weeks. I have no other experience to go by, my track record for leeks is nearly as bad as swedes. I guess that makes this variety nearly foolproof too... ::)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 17:50 »
Sounds like one I should investigate!
Does it glow in the dark? That would be useful...  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 19:01 »
Get a headtorch Balders, will help with the night-time plot raids.  :)

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 19:07 »
I have always grown Bleu de Solaise, which is a late leek that stands well in the ground throughout winter, it normally lasts until March for me.  This year I have also grown Jaune de Poitou, which is much earlier.  I have been picking these for around 6 - 8 weeks now and they are bigger earlier than the Bleu de Solaise.   I aim to lift the rest of them before very severe weather sets in as they are not frost hardy like the Blue de Solaise.

I am happy with my choice of 2 varieties, they have extended the leek season quite significantly.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 20:23 »
I have always grown Bleu de Solaise, which is a late leek that stands well in the ground throughout winter, it normally lasts until March for me.  This year I have also grown Jaune de Poitou, which is much earlier.  I have been picking these for around 6 - 8 weeks now and they are bigger earlier than the Bleu de Solaise.   I aim to lift the rest of them before very severe weather sets in as they are not frost hardy like the Blue de Solaise.

I am happy with my choice of 2 varieties, they have extended the leek season quite significantly.

Agree with you on these Anne. I've grown those 2 varieties for a few years now - harvesting leeks from late Sept/early Oct to the end of March (when they run out!). I find the J de P have a lightly sweeter flavour, but think both are great.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 20:27 by Mr Dog »

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 20:34 »
Thanks for the suggestions - I tend to be a bit random in my choice of leeks - being largely led by what my local garden centre sells offf for 50p at the end of the growing season. Perhaps I need to buy these and do a bit more seed saving...

Pip pip,
Balders

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 20:55 »
We grew these last year, Balders, and also this season, and they're even bigger and lusher, with huge fat bodies, almost like pot leeks!

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/onion-and-leek-seeds/leek-blauwgroene-winter-bandit/46TM

Had one today, and it's too big for the two of us, so it'll be bubbled and squeaked probably!

xx
Observation on Leek varieties

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 16:09
by gobs
xx
Leek harvest

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2018, 08:19
by jaydig
xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Successional sowing

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 19:51
by DD.

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 36 queries.