Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.

• 24 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.
« on: December 11, 2012, 18:31 »
Dear Ms Lyon,

Back yard hens and feed

Thank you for your email about feeding poultry food scraps.

The feeding to farmed animals (including backyard chickens) of catering waste, kitchen scraps, raw, partially cooked and cooked meat products is prohibited under EU animal by-products legislation, in order to control the potential introduction and spread of major exotic notifiable diseases. In the case of poultry, this includes Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI).

Kitchen scraps are every item of food that come from the kitchens of dwelling houses. This includes food originating from the kitchens of vegetarian homes which may still be of animal origin and could spread exotic diseases.

However, vegetable material originating outside the kitchen, which has not entered the kitchen, and which has not come into contact with material of animal origin in a dwelling house e,g vegetables grown in domestic gardens may be fed.

The reason for this strict approach is that vegetable material can easily get cross contaminated with material of animal origin in a kitchen environment and which can in turn present a disease risk if fed.

Full guidance is available from the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) website at:
HYPERLINK: http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/managing-disease/animalbyproducts/collection-feeding-abp/Ban-on-feeding-of-kitchen-scraps-to-pet-poultry-and-other-pet-farmed-animals.asp

Yours sincerely,

Tiyi Morris
Defra - Customer Contact Unit

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only. If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform the sender.
Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

Re: Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 18:35 »
So this means that all countries in the EU are prohibited from feeding any food scraps that have come from your kitchen. There are no if's or buts or what ifs - it is illegal.
If you grow your own veg then so long as it doesn't enter into your house you can feed your chickens the fresh veg.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 19:05 by joyfull »

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 22:45 »
I found this an interesting read and its clear DEFRA want to keep it as simple as possible.

I can understand why at first many would consider this law as the world gone mad, mainly as it appears to cast aside the common sense mentality, which I would like to guess resides in at least 99% of keepers of livestock. However it is that tiny minority which would potentially cause a hazard through ill practice, which without the full backing of the law could result in little more then a slapped wrist. Therefore regulations backed by law are vital in safe guarding the health and well-being of livestock, wildlife and humans.
For the vast majority of back yard chicken keepers, a simple reminder of the law is a sensible preventative to a very expensive and avoidable disaster from developing.

The DEFRA SWAT team need not plan a dawn operation at my house any time soon, as I'll comply.       

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 23:02 »
I asked for their reply to be in plain English so that this way everybody could read it and there would be no doubt in anybodies mind.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 23:58 »
I think it is illegal to take peelings etc from home to put on the compost heap too, for the same reason.
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:20 »
No it can't be because that is what the councils are encouraging us to do to save on landfill.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50 »
Absolutely.

Our council have all these offers to encourage you to compost kitchen waste.

Offers
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 17:43 »
I think it is illegal to take peelings etc from home to put on the compost heap too, for the same reason.
It must be true I read it in GYO last year

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 17:56 »
Then I break the law every week,  I save everything I can for my compost heap and will continue to do so.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 18:18 »
This is from the Government's website .gov.uk

All garden waste, including grass cuttings, prunings, leaves, hedge trimmings and vegetable waste from your kitchen can be recycled by composting. Your local council may help you get a composter or offer a green waste collection service. Composting instead of sending green waste to landfill sites helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

I'll need a bit more convincing that it's illegal!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 18:27 »

Indeed. Perhaps the article referred to cooked scraps or (any) meats which shouldn't be composted as they attract vermin, but I'm not aware that is illegal either.  :unsure:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 18:29 »
I must admit I was a bit surprised by it, as I had regularly been taking kitchen waste to the lottie.  
I shall search through back issues to see if I can find it.  Perhaps you shouldn't believe all you read in the press.  :(

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 15:20 »
I've searched through all my back numbers of GYO, but they only go back to Jan 2012 and it could have been earlier that I saw it.  Perhaps GYO was referring to kitchen scraps rather than vegetable waste as you say Arugula - I wish I could find it.  I looked on various govt websites and can't find anything, so it is maybe wrong.  I'm glad though, I can stop taking kitchen waste to the lottie under cover of darkness....

helens-hens

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 15:55 »
I grow a few tomatoes, potatoes etc on a vegetable patch in my garden. If I started a composting system (which I have been thinking of) and put my kitchen vegetable scraps on there, use it for the tomato plants and then allow my hens the odd tomato or 2 (that is if they haven't jumped up & pinched them anyway!) where does that leave me, legally.

One of the main reasons I was thinking of starting a compost heap though was to find a use for droppings & litter from the hens. Again, if I used this to fertilise e.g. said tomatoes , where on earth does that leave us?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 15:56 by helens-hens »
Helen

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 17:00 »

Indeed. Perhaps the article referred to cooked scraps or (any) meats which shouldn't be composted as they attract vermin, but I'm not aware that is illegal either.  :unsure:

I don't think it is either, you can use Bokashi bins with bran to help break those waste products (bones included) down, they can then be added to the compost heap.

xx
DEFRA Reply

Started by Markw on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
defra law

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 22:29
by Squibbs
xx
Defra

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 09:24
by too many girls
xx
defra number

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 01:00
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 40 queries.