Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2017, 13:22 »
Thanks Sunny, might have to amend that then as I've already cooked the apples & dripped them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 17:10 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2017, 17:14 »
So today was a jelly sort of day, 9lbs of apples stewed yesterday plus the leftover crab apple juice yielded 7pts of juice. So 3pints was made into chilli jelly as I only had 5 chilli's thanks daughter. The other 4 pints was made into Sunnys sage & garlic jelly.
Click on the picture & it turns the right way up, but is then too big for the page!! This is the sage & garlic
IMG_0678.JPG
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 17:16 by snowdrops »

snowdrops

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2017, 17:16 »
Here's the chilli one
IMG_0676.JPG

Pescador

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2017, 17:39 »
Yesterdays brew of Green Tomato Chutney took me past 1000 jars so far this year. Didn't want to be doing it so early but blight is taking hold, so they had to come out.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

snowdrops

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2017, 19:49 »
Yesterdays brew of Green Tomato Chutney took me past 1000 jars so far this year. Didn't want to be doing it so early but blight is taking hold, so they had to come out.

My goodness I thought I was doing well, I've hardly any jars left. What on earth do you do with them all?

Pescador

« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2017, 06:35 »
They are sold through my hobby/business, Paul's Preserves and Pickles. Keeps me out of mischief (nearly!)

snowdrops

« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46 »
They are sold through my hobby/business, Paul's Preserves and Pickles. Keeps me out of mischief (nearly!)

Ahh that makes sense, I've been thinking about selling my surplus to make space for my new season jars, I think it's becoming a bit of an obsession.
Where do you buy your jars from?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25 »

I thought I put up a lot of preserves etc but for you it must be a full time job!! Have you had to have a kitchen assessment etc?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Pescador

« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2017, 13:24 »
Sunshineband, Yes. I had to have a full assessment of kitchen suitability and standard. Also of procedures, traceability, Best Before dates, production techniques and record keeping.

Snowdrops, my jars come from The Bottle Company (South) in Bristol, and their service is 2nd to none!

snowdrops

« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2017, 14:37 »
Thanks Peskie will look them up 😊

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2017, 15:57 »
Sunshineband, Yes. I had to have a full assessment of kitchen suitability and standard. Also of procedures, traceability, Best Before dates, production techniques and record keeping.

Snowdrops, my jars come from The Bottle Company (South) in Bristol, and their service is 2nd to none!

I thought you must have!

Feeling a bit like something and nothing today as I have not made a single thing  :lol: :lol: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2017, 16:43 »

[/quote] 
Feeling a bit like something and nothing today as I have not made a single thing  :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Haha just said the same sort of thing to hubby, don't know if I feel so tired because I've not done anything today or because of all I've made in the last few days 😊🤔

chrissie B

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2017, 08:09 »
Crab apple jelly takes me back aunty dorises small kitchen with upturned stools with muslin slung between them getting the juice from her apples the whole bouse smelt of apples it was never ending process i was 9ish so.that was 50 years ago and aunty doris who seemed old then is now the grand old age of 103 so there maybe something in that crab apple jelly.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

chrissie B

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2017, 16:13 »
Due to a load of apples descovered  at the bottom of my freezer apple and strawberry jam.
chrissie b
1505401964656.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2017, 11:28 »
Forays into fermentation here  :ohmy:

This is hopefully going to be sweet pepper salsa, or so the recipe book says.  About 1/3 of the weight of peppers is actually supposed to be jalapeño chilies.  I have some hotter and some milder than this, so assembled a mix, red peppers and a red onion.  It can be eaten as is, used a base for salsa with tomatoes added and I'm thinking will be a useful ingredient to have on hand for all sorts of things.

This is processed to mince, then grated garlic and salt is added, it is fermented for 14 days, then jarred up and stored in the fridge.  There is a piece of food wrap on top of the contents in the jar to keep them under the brine. 

There were a couple of spoonfuls of pulp left.  It didn't seem worth starting another jar and I have 1/2 tin of coconut milk in the fridge to use us, so I'm thinking this could be the base of a curry.

Its all very satisfying as everything bar a couple of spoons of sea salt came from the greenhouse or the plot  :D
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown-7.jpeg
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:30 by New shoot »

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 54 queries.