First Time Strawberry Grower

• 5 Replies

mozza15

First Time Strawberry Grower
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:18 »
(...or should I say..."First Time Anything Grower!? haha )

Hey all,

I've posted a couple of times in The Hen House trying to learn hat it would be like to keep chickens and I decided that before i take a big leap like that it would be nice to grow some fruit and veg as they go hand in hand and, if allowed by my parents... turn the unused back garden into a nice area for growing things and raising chickens.

I decided that i would start out with a couple of decent sized pots that my mum already had and just a single plant to grow and then build from there to see how it goes. With this being the starting point i don't have much to maintain and by building slowly i though i'll always have something to do (planting newly bought things) rather than doing everything in a day and not having much to do after.

Basically I bought 7 small strawberry plants and planted them in some soil with some fertilizer. My mum said that the garden centre wouldn't sell them if they couldn't grow and i've read that early September can be a good time to plant strawberrys but i wanted to be sure. So...my questions are will my strawberries grow when planted at this time of year? What can i expect from them in terms of growth rate/activity (such as i've read that they will die down before they grow again next year?)? And finally, could anyone please point me in the direction of some good tips on how to look after them. I've read i should build a net for them to protect them from birds and also a frost cover for the winter. Is there much else i should consider?

Thanks a lot, any help is gratefully appreciated.

Sam.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:19 by mozza15 »

Weeble

Re: First Time Strawberry Grower
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51 »
Hi Sam.

August is a perfect time to plant strawberrys, right up to mid-September. The idea of planting them now is to give them time to develope a good root system before winter.

The essential care for them at the moment (and any newly planted plant) is to keep them watered and clear of weeds. Watering is best done in the morning so any splashes on the leaves can dry before nightfall.

Feed and mulch the plants next March/April.

When they fruit will depend on the variety you have bought, but generally will be somewhere between late May and early July.

mozza15

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 18:33 »
Great Reply Weeble, thanks a lot. Hit on the head what i wanted to know :) i think, fantastic.

If anyone has any other tips please post them :)

Thanks again,
Sam.

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 19:09 »
strawberry's are very hardy and will take a frost no problem and you wont need to net them till late spring when they start to flower and then fruit
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

mozza15

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 22:01 »
Thanks a lot digalotty, looks like i won't be having to build anything yet then :( lol.

Sam.

mozza15

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 23:01 »
Should i pick any small strawberry's off of my plants now? I've read that you should in their first year so that they grow better next year. Should i do this even though my plants and strawberries are only very small, also there is only a couple of strawberries.

Thanks,
Sam.

xx
First time potato grower

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 11:42
by sloegin
xx
first time celeriac grower

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 21:16
by brokenglass
xx
First time Tomato grower- when do I feed them

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:52
by Kristen
xx
recommend a courgette for a first time grower

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 02:23
by chriscross1966

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 35 queries.