Suggestions needed for a "special" plant

• 12 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Suggestions needed for a "special" plant
« on: March 03, 2013, 16:49 »
Two weeks ago I had a "significant" birthday (OK, I was 40), and my wonderful godmother who I love dearly gave me a £25 gardening voucher.  We are currently working on the sunny west-facing corner of the garden, and are in the process of preparing a base for a large log cabin/summerhouse.  We are planning a seating area next to it too, for a lovely sunny evening retreat.

I would like to spend the voucher on one special plant for this area, so that every time I look at it I will be reminded of the lovely birthday I have just had, and also of my wonderful godmother.  I want something that will be here for years to come, something that will improve over time, and something with the "wow" factor.  I was thinking perhaps a shrub or small tree.  That's all I know.  I'm stuck for ideas, I'm hoping someone on here might have a few ideas.  Please????  :)

No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Suggestions needed for a "special" plant
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 17:49 »
What a lovely present  :D

Something scented and luscious in the evening could be just the job

Any particular colour you had in mind?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 18:00 »
Not fussy about which colour, as long as it has some! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 18:07 »
A cherry tree would give you flowers in Spring and fruit in Summer --- dwarf Sunburst is black fruited, readily available and self fertile.

A 'family' fruit tree, with two or even three varieties of apple or pear would be lovely too

Or standard roses maybe? Some do have the most lovely scent and are easy to keep pruned to shape

Or perhaps an achway planted with honeysuckle?

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56 »
Ooh, all good ideas, thanks.

However, I think I may have found the perfect plant myself.  I was given a copy of Alan Titchmarsh's "My Secret Garden" for my birthday and only got around to looking at it last night.  And in there is a stunning picture of a Cornus controversa Variegata (Wedding Cake Tree). That's the one.

I seem to remember seeing another rather stunning Cornus on a stand at Gardeners World Live last year too, but can't remember the full name of it.  It was covered in white bracts.

Might have room for a flowering cherry too though....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20 »
Glad you have found something

(Corus contraversa is the one I think ....'variagata' is especially pretty)

and if you need a smallish white flowered japanase cherry Snow Goose is gorgeous and semi-upright so does not take up masses of space  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25 »
Make sure you have the right soil and the correct aspect as you'll want to make sure it has the perfect conditions if it's to live and thrive for years to come  :)

There's another wedding cakey shrub, brain whirring at the minute while I recall its name.  Got it!  Viburnum plicatum Mariesii  :)  Google for some pictures of it  :)

thepest62

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 13:33 »
what about a rose, maybe one with a name, Birthday or mum something that reminds you x  :wub:

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 18:14 »
What have I started?!  Googled the Viburnum, it's lovely.  Searched for "birthday" in RHS plant finder and it came up with 11 options, and 5 roses, one called "Birthday Girl"!  I really like climbing and rambling roses, but I don't know what type it is yet.  If its a climber, its a contender.  That would be perfect growing up the summerhouse...

Of course, all this depends on whether my local garden centre stocks any of these, if I want to use my voucher.  I don't think I can use it online? :unsure:  otherwise I'll end up buying something special online, THEN spending the voucher in the garden centre!

pumpkingrower31

• Gardening for Life
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 15:31 »
I could probrably recomened a mock orange, it is a shrub. It flowers alot from spring to early summer, the flowers are small and cream in colour and they have a strong sweet scent to the flowers which can smell citrusy, its a very nice shrub :)

tjcnok

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 02:38 »
Plant your Godmother's favorite rose. That way both of you will be constantly aware of your special connection.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 13:49 »
Well my idea for the Cornus controversa Variegata has now been crossed off my list.  I popped into the garden centre yesterday and was very excited to see they had it in!  And then I looked at the price tag - £89.99 in a 10l container.  A little over my £25 budget.

Got lots of ideas for alternatives now though, thanks! :-)

Agatha

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37 »
I was given a patio nectarine for a recent birthday, which is both pretty and productive.  As it lives in a pot, it also means I can take it with me if I move.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
Salvia "Flower Child" and "Rose Queen"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 15:15
by mrs bouquet
xx
What time of year to plant a "shrubbery"?

Started by DanielCoffey on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 22:06
by DanielCoffey
xx
A friendly stork has brought me a Rosa "Sharifa Asma"

Started by JayG on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 20:00
by JayG
xx
Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)

Started by RichardY on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 12:08
by Growster...

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.