Eating mice

• 12 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Eating mice
« on: July 30, 2012, 14:36 »
My girls have discovered a mouse nest in the garden somewhere and are devouring the baby mice. We've tried to stop them but they're too fast to catch to take the mice off them. Is this normal chicken behaviour?
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Eating mice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 14:41 »
Oh yes! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 14:57 »
Ok, thanks.  :D  We're trying to keep them away from that side of the garden as much as possible, but between our cats and our chickens sadly 7 little mice lost their lives yesterday!!  :(
It is quite comical though to watch one hen with a mouse in its beak streaking across the garden with the others in hot pursuit. Once they've shown off how clever they are, they just down the mouse in one. I couldn't believe what I'd seen......until I saw the next one do the same!!  :ohmy: Shame for the little mice though!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 15:01 »
They are a chicken delicacy. :) It is a shame for the little mice, but just think what damage they might be doing to your garden, plants or house (or car!). We have salamanders here, our chickens used to love eating them too. You regularly saw the salamaders going around with bits, such as tails, missing until they grew back.

:D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 16:20 »
and just wait until they catch a frog - the poor thing becomes a 4 way tug of war. Chickens are the modern equivalent of a velocirapter  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:22 »
and just wait until they catch a frog - the poor thing becomes a 4 way tug of war. Chickens are the modern equivalent of a velocirapter  :lol:

Its amazing how far a frog will stretch when they are fighting over it! I have to go away till its over :wub: :nowink: :wacko:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bb72

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43 »
I have to be carefull when lifting some fallen fencing panels there are no frogs under them as I found out to one of their costs.

one also took a baby chick that had fallen from a  nest!!!!!!!

edessex

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:37 »
and just wait until they catch a frog - the poor thing becomes a 4 way tug of war. Chickens are the modern equivalent of a velocirapter  :lol:

We had that with a random lizard that found it's way into the garden... poor thing!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 12:47 »
its all good and well watching them eat these critters but we keep meat birds and it really turns my stomach when i think we'll be indirectly eating mice, frogs, worms, flies, caterpillars, slugs, snails.........
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

edessex

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 13:12 »
I know what you mean; my wife has been put off of eating eggs... seeing the hens eat slugs and the odd reptile was almost enough, but after she started incubating eggs and saw the chicks hatch, that was pretty much the end of her egg eating!

yacks

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 14:32 »
Mine are partial to the odd slow worm ... I do chase them around and release the poor thing ... One de girls took on more than she could handle and had to rescue her from a slow worm as it wrapped itself around her head and she was suffocating ... She still went back for more !! X

edessex

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 14:39 »
Aren't they a protected species in the UK?

yacks

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 15:18 »
Yes that's why I quickly grab them and release them ... Do try and check around before the girls get out

xx
Mice

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 20:58
by Paul Plots
xx
mice!!!!

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:15
by Prod
xx
i have mice

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 23:41
by Junie
xx
mice

Started by 2sam16 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 20:51
by joyfull

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.