pullets

• 7 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
pullets
« on: October 05, 2010, 13:11 »
my pullets are just over 19 wks so i am hoping that they should begin to lay in the next few weeks as they are hybrids- my question is how do they know to lay in the nest box ? Do i have to train them or is it just instinct? I think it may be a few more weeks yet though coz the combs arent big or red enough or can they lay before the combs get bigger? And another question - will the eggs be tiny at first? Many thanks!
regards Patricia

Beano

Re: pullets
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 13:26 »
Our two pullets layed their eggs in the nest boxes without any encouragement from me.
The three older hens weren't laying at the time so they did not get a clue off them. Pearl layed a month before Amber so Amber may have copies Pearl but Pearl knew what to do (clever girl). As for the size Pearls' eggs are smallish but Amber must have been storing some big one up during that month. Some of her eggs are huge, which worries me a little because she's new to laying.
It will be such a lovely surprise for you when you get that first egg.
Cheers.
El.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 13:27 »
Hi LooeLooe, our new girls are about the same age and no eggs yet from the 30 of them!  Most of them will probably start to lay in the nest boxes, but some of my older girls still lay on the floor!

You can try putting a pretend egg made from rubber or china etc, or a golf ball into the boxes, that may encourage them to lay in the nestbox.

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 13:36 »
oh i see -one thing i have noticed is that they are all going back into the coop at different times during the day but when i first got them they never went back until dusk so does this mean they are getting more close to laying?

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 13:40 »
may i also say that i am noticing them sitting down more too -is this another sign? They are all healthy and eating well

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 15:15 »
Its kind of inbred, they like the quiet, dark, private space, the main coop wont do that for them where as the nest box is kind of like the nest  ???
If they frop elsewhere than as Grannie says, pop a false egg or perhaps a real egg in there to show them, just occasionally I find an egg in the main coop and wonderd if they just couldn't get there in time  :lol:
Don't worry, genetics will probably let them know.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08 »
If by sitting down you mean squatting, or curtseying as I saw it beautifully described on here this week, yes it does mean they are getting ready to lay. If the nest box is well designed ie quiet and dark and enclosed they will, on the whole lay there. At the end of the day they lay when they are ready and not when the books say they will. It is hard waiting though! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:16 »
as long as your nest box is cosy and the darkest place in the coop they should be drawn to it to lay . I put mine in the corner of the shed furthest away from the pop hole and perches so they can be away from the main active areas of the coop

xx
How much for pullets just now

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 20:27
by Hans Mum
xx
Pullets

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:30
by henpecked
xx
3 new RIR pullets!

Started by CLARE SWANN on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 19:54
by Hawkins
xx
How much are pullets to buy?

Started by BJ on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 12:41
by BJ

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.