Is there a broad bean trick

• 19 Replies

prakash_mib

Is there a broad bean trick
« on: March 27, 2011, 18:57 »
I sowed BB straight on to ground sometime at start of march. Visiting plot today the BBs are just showing up and very fragile. and germination rate is around 50%. I want to resow just in case. Is there any trick to sow them this late? (BB - Imperial longpod)
advice please!!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Re: Is there a broad bean trick
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 18:59 »
This is late??!

We put ours in last week (same variety as you), and they haven't come up yet.

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 19:09 »
thanks VV.. did you put straight on to ground or sowed them in pots?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 19:11 »
Germination rate ought to be higher than 50%.  Could mice have eaten them?  If so, soak them in some paraffin before planting.  Just stick some more in now and don't worry, they will catch up.
Cheese makes everything better.

240173paul

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 19:12 »
Mine were sown on the 20th Feb and are just coming through now ;)   In never start braod beans at homeas the seem to get spindally :(

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 19:13 »
I want to resow just in case. Is there any trick to sow them this late?

Mine are still in the packet - but will be planted this week. My soil is sandy and is now nicely warm and moist rather than cold and wet.

I soak beans overnight, poke a hole to the depth of my first finger,  in a zig-zag pattern then drop a seed in and cover.  Job done.

The old bloke next door scatters them by the handful, walks along and pushes them in with his walking stick. He always gets wonderful results and takes no care with them at all.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 19:40 »
I want to resow just in case. Is there any trick to sow them this late?

Mine are still in the packet - but will be planted this week. My soil is sandy and is now nicely warm and moist rather than cold and wet.

I soak beans overnight, poke a hole to the depth of my first finger,  in a zig-zag pattern then drop a seed in and cover.  Job done.

The old bloke next door scatters them by the handful, walks along and pushes them in with his walking stick. He always gets wonderful results and takes no care with them at all.

That's experience for you  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 19:41 »
I sowed 2 lots as an experiment this year, one lot in 3" pots and one lot directly into the bed. The ones in pots were sown on 27/02, came up within a week with 100% germination and very quickly grew big and strong. I started hardening them off by 06/03, left them out overnight after a week and planted them out in a bed yesterday. The ones sown directly into a bed went in on 06/03 and only just started coming up during the last few days, so took 3 weeks to germinate. They're still coming through so I can't yet say what the germination rate was like.

But in future I'll do all my broad beans in pots for planting out later. It gave them a very good head start, an excellent germination rate and they're now looking very big, strong plants. I'd sow direct if I was sowing a lot of them or didn't have room to start them off inside, but otherwise not.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 19:45 »
I sow broadbeans in paper pots.... works well. It might be more work but I then know they are up and running by the time they reach the plot.

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 19:47 »
Thanks for posting about this. We have some outside and some in paper pots in the porch.  All insiders doing well, but outside rather slow.  We have two plants which survived an Autumn sowing, looking big and strong... Hoping for a better crop this year from the various methods of planting.

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 21:47 »
the trick is to expect losses, old country farmers saying - one for rook and one for crow, one to rot and one to grow.
Modern equivalent would include mice and pigeons.
I start as many as I can in pots and plant out. losses direct into ground in polytunnel is about half the loss in open
R

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 21:52 »
I never plant them direct either.  Almost 100% germination rate using tray inserts with 15 spaces per tray.  I find that my later planted beans soon catch up and don't bother to plant early.  But hey, I'm a rebel. 8) :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 22:10 »
I never plant them direct either.  Almost 100% germination rate using tray inserts with 15 spaces per tray.  I find that my later planted beans soon catch up and don't bother to plant early.  But hey, I'm a rebel. 8) :lol:

Johnnie rebel.... and now Icey Rebel  ;)

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 23:21 »
only planted mine today 8)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Gandan57

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 23:39 »
I always sow direct, eight inch wide trench and scatter them so they are about two inches apart. When they have germinated I want it to look like a hedge. My seed costs £1.35 for half a kilo and it would be far too many beans to transplant.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

xx
Terry Walton's Broad Bean Trick

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:42
by gobs
xx
Broad bean HELP!!

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:55
by agapanthus
xx
broad bean

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 13:39
by Jamrock
xx
Broad bean help!

Started by siani on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 15:08
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.