When to plant shallots?

• 18 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
When to plant shallots?
« on: December 22, 2013, 17:00 »
The old wives tail is to plant Shallots on the shortest day and reap them on the longest day.... I cant find any shallot sets/bulbs anywhere locally!!!!  I might be wrong?!!? Maybe this tale is for sowing as seed. (I did find a packet of seed today though!!)

Looking at last year's notes I planted my bulbs first week in Feb and end Feb so maybe thats only when they were available??
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

bravemurphy

Re: When to plant shallots?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 17:19 »
I got some autumn planting ones last year and they were terrible.

Most of mine this year are going to be from seed I think.

The banana shallots I grew from seed were great we are just using the last of them.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 17:19 »
I've done the shortest day thing and a spring planted thing - the spring planted bulbs sprouted earlier and produced a better crop.  I suspect the reason was the soil temperature - once planted, the shortest day bulbs are stuck in cold wet (clay) soil, whereas in spring, the bulbs are already about to sprout when they get planted in soil that is freshly turned over and warmer

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 17:27 »
I'm not a fan of overwintering anything I don't have to, so mine will be planted around mid-Feb, weather permitting. Usually ready in late July, so well past the longest day which is only to be expected, but of course you then get to be eating them later in the year than you otherwise would.  ;)

It's a long time since I had to buy any new ones but I think you're right about them not being in stock at this time of year - the retailers have almost certainly played their part in making two distinct shallot-planting seasons.  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 17:44 »
Plonk them in when you can.... mine go in sometime in the spring. If it's too wet / cold / windy or anything else horrid I stick mine in large cells or small pots to get them going.

When the sun is out and I can escape to the plot I stick in the lot. They look lovely all green and shooting straight into the ground. It's worked well for the last few years and solves the problem of not being able to actually get to the plot when I need / want to.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 18:11 »
My exhibition shallots will be potted up at the end of this month, harvest will be around the longest day. They stay in 4 inch pots in the cold greenhouse until late feb.

The bulk of the shallots I grow next year will be from seed though, from an April sowing, Zebrune produced massive shallots for me last year that are still storing well now.

With the exception of the show shallots, all my onions and shallots will be grown from seed from now on. Far more productive.

Totty

gavinjconway

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 21:14 »
Thanks for all the replies.. I'll wait till I see them and plant then into pots first if required.

I've just been looking at the seed packet I bought today... Prisma F1 Hybrid. Sow Mar/Apr... but strangely only produces one single bulb per seed.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:35 »
Thanks for all the replies.. I'll wait till I see them and plant then into pots first if required.

I've just been looking at the seed packet I bought today... Prisma F1 Hybrid. Sow Mar/Apr... but strangely only produces one single bulb per seed.

I use sets so can't help with the seed.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:05 »

Shallots from seed are not proper shallots. Proper shallots grown from sets split into several bulbs and do not normally set seed. OK occasionally they bolt.

Why are shallots from seed allowed in shows?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26 »
Surely shallot sets are simply the single immature bulbs grown from seed, which when replanted divide into multiple bulbs in their second year? 

I would therefore assume that a single bulb grown from seed is likely to be bigger than those formed by splitting, but that's a complete guess!  :unsure:

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 14:29 »
Surely shallot sets are simply the single immature bulbs grown from seed, which when replanted divide into multiple bulbs in their second year? 

I would therefore assume that a single bulb grown from seed is likely to be bigger than those formed by splitting, but that's a complete guess!  :unsure:

Do shallots grown from seed split in their second year, or do they all go to seed like onions?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 14:37 »
If grown to full size from seed - maybe; if harvested "immature" as in bought sets - hopefully not (I really don't know, Salmo.)

gavinjconway

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 16:32 »
I'll do some trials and let you know salmo...

Totty

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 18:01 »

Shallots from seed are not proper shallots. Proper shallots grown from sets split into several bulbs and do not normally set seed. OK occasionally they bolt.

Not sure why any seed sown shallots would be used in shows, they are the wrong shape!

Totty

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 20:16 »

Not sure why any seed sown shallots would be used in shows, they are the wrong shape!

Totty

Maybe not the banana zebrune shallots, which are very similar to Long Red Florence onions, but varieties like Matador produce good looking round bulbs.

xx
when to plant shallots?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:24
by DavidT
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2019, 12:56
by Nobbie
xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 17:44
by DHM
xx
OK to plant shallots now?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:40
by New shoot

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.