Newspaper logs

• 26 Replies

Knoblauch

Newspaper logs
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 22:49 »
I should have said - I stand on mine and trampoline on it a bit to compress it down.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 23:19 »
Ahh now that makes sense, I'll try not to break my ankle in the process :lol:

tarranty

Newspaper logs
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 13:16 »
Hi, I tried the briquette maker using wet paper like the one you're talking about  but found the whole thing too much trouble. I then was recommended a dry paper logmaker, it's very easy and quick and you can use more than just newspaper.Check it out on http://www.greenstamp.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/122.

poultrygeist

Newspaper logs
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 16:32 »
Hi tarranty. Welcome in. :)

Do you want to pop over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself? :D

Be nice to see you around the forums.

Rob 8)

tarranty

Newspaper logs
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 09:18 »
I would but I can't find it!

Gwiz

Newspaper logs
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 10:11 »

David.

Newspaper logs
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 20:02 »
Tear your newspapers, junk mail, etc. into 1"/25mm wide strips, add paper shreddings and soak in buckets for at least 24 hours. I leave the newspapers out in the rain for several days before tearing up and top up from rainwater barrels to reduce tap water usage.

Place the strips into the 'log maker' with the ends hanging over the sides/ends, and continue to fill it ensuring you wrap the projecting strips from lower layers back over the ones above so everything interlocks and you get a compact 'log'. Those made from whole sheets of newspaper always seem to fall apart.

During the Summer is obviously the best time to produce these paper 'logs', stacking them on edge to dry under cover, but the season can be extended by putting them in your oven to dry/finish drying. This is obviously more efficient if you are burning paper logs in your Aga/Rayburn to dry paper logs in it's oven! (but damp 'logs' can be placed in an electric/gas oven after use to dry).

Our 'log maker' cost a friend approx. £16, but they couldn't cope/get the hang of it. As we cut our own firewood (and are now producing the first of our fuel from willow coppice - but for an enclosed stove). However, we will still continue to make our 'paper logs'.

David.

Newspaper logs
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 15:46 »
A few pics taken today:

Fill 'log maker' with soaked strips of newspaper (or junk mail, envelopes, shreddings, brown/tissue/Christmas paper, etc. - but I keep this below 25% otherwise it doesn't all stick together very well), getting the strips all tangled together (I ignored the instructions not to tear into strips and just to wet - not soak as that produces logs that fall apart):

Fill evenly to approx. 25mm from the top:

The insert the top plate, press the levers to squeeze water out (the should go almost as far as they possibly can if you've filled it to the right level and turn it upside down to pour the water out (and remove the 'log'):

It only takes a couple of minutes per log (didn't get this one quite perfect as it was bloomin cold today:

If you put it back in upside down and re-press you should get some more water out. Work on a bench at a suitable height with your paper up there as well or you'll knacker your back if working on the ground. If you do it on your patio it will end up covered with loads of bits of paper stuck to it (until the slugs eat them).

poultrygeist

Newspaper logs
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 16:03 »
Very informative David. Thanks for that. How many logs can you make from a couple of newspapers ?

We only get a coupel of free local papers and not that much junk mail. I think we'd have to scrounge from other folks.

And how long do they burn for ?

Rob 8)

Clanland

Newspaper logs
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 23:09 »
Hi there!
We squish damp (not soaked) shredded paper into plant pots, makes for great in between kindling and logs burning stuff and we even have family making them for us out of shredded bills, they dry out fairly quickly if left on a radiator.
Hope that helps
C.L.
Life is like a box of chocolates, you often have to fight for the best one.

David.

Newspaper logs
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 19:19 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
How many logs can you make from a couple of newspapers ?

We only get a coupel of free local papers and not that much junk mail. I think we'd have to scrounge from other folks.

And how long do they burn for ?

Rob 8)

Being back in the summer when we produced them, I could only guess at an average of one 'log' per newspaper, which would burn in an open fireplace for approx 45 mins, but we mix them with wood & coal.

We use the 'free' local paper and neighbour's newspapers - could be a good time to convince then to give you their papers as the bottoms dropped out the market for recycled paper.

But use of newspapers as an 'organic' mulch always competes against their use as a fuel source.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 23:08 »
Having made the wet log method I did find it all a bit cold and messy then you have to dry them for weeks before you can burn them. I would need to plan ahead and that is not my strong point.

However the other post about the dry system really interests me, I could sit in the house and make those while chatting to a friend over a cup of tea. Now that's my sort of thing :lol:  :lol:

xx
Sawdust Logs. Experiments 1 & 2

Started by Spana on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:25
by Terrier
xx
Making fire logs from pulp.

Started by hayles62 on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2007, 09:16
by hayles62
xx
Newspaper Pot

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 12:11
by Kristen
xx
Sun newspaper

Started by FRUITFULL on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 23:04
by Green-fingered Man

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.