Tomato Recommendations

• 44 Replies

jaydig

Re: Tomato Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 11:07 »
Orange Paruche are my favourite cherry tomato.  Larger than Sungold and a bit sweeter.  :tongue2:

I always seem to have problems with Sungold splitting very easily, do Orange Paruche tend to do this?  If not, they seem like an ideal substitute.

Eblana

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 13:23 »
Its just another way of saying bush tomatoes or vine tomatoes Eblana.  You let the determinate grow as they wish and don't pinch the side shoots out.  Indeterminates are grown as a single stem vine up a cane, or twin stems up 2 canes if you like  :)
[/quote]

Thanks New Shoots

Headgardener22

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 18:05 »
Garden Pearl and 100's & 1000's are both determinate varieties and we were asked for indeterminate suggestions.

The earliest indeterminate that I've grown over the oast few years has regularly been blooody butcher.

Can you explain what a determinate variety and an indeterminate variety is please, I have seen this mentioned before on seed packets but have no idea what it means.

Whilst I agree that the terms Determinate and Indeterminate are used exchangeably with Bush and Cordon, they're not quite the same. An Indeterminate variety has trusses along the vine which ripen over a long season. In the UK we tend to grow them as a single vine as a Cordon because we don't have a hot season and need to get as much sunlight onto the fruit as you can. In other countries, they can be grown in cages with all the vines allowed to grow and fruit picked throughout the season.

Determinate varieties grow to a size and then fruit over a shorter period. Hence there is no reason to take off sideshoots and so we grow them as bushes.

Indeterminate varieties tend to be better for greenhouse growing because they can be trained upwards taking up little horizontal space, determinate varieties tend to be better for commercial canning and sauces because the fruit ripen all at once and so can be machine harvested.

I'm not sure, but I think that Indeterminate varieties are tender perennials and would grow forever in suitable conditions but Determinate varieties are annuals and die after fruiting. (We grow them all as annuals because they can't survive the UK winters).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 20:00 »
Both cordon and bush are perennial if kept in a warm place.

I've overwintered small bush tomatoes in the past, cutting them back after fruiting makes them grow new shoots  ;)

Headgardener22

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28 »

I've overwintered small bush tomatoes in the past, cutting them back after fruiting makes them grow new shoots  ;)

Never been able to try that but its interesting. Kills my idea  :)

Growster...

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 17:49 »

Yes it is interesting, isn't it, HG!

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to see if I can keep some cuttings/sideshoots going this winter...

Chrysalis

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 19:10 »
We tried a new variety called "Sweet Aperitif" this year.  Excellent crop and very tasty.  Still going in the greenhouse along with good old "Ailsa Craig" fro the main crop.  Our best year for toms so far.  Fabulous flavour.  Will do these again.

Headgardener22

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 16:38 »

Yes it is interesting, isn't it, HG!

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to see if I can keep some cuttings/sideshoots going this winter...

I am going to try it with some Crimson Crush but the plants are already looking a bit yellow.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 17:04 »
Damn...I pulled up some green envy that had self-layered themselves. ::)

By the way, they are a really nice green cherry, sweet and sharp, all the neighbours want plants next year

Mr Dog

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2015, 21:39 »
We tried a new variety called "Sweet Aperitif" this year.  Excellent crop and very tasty.  Still going in the greenhouse along with good old "Ailsa Craig" fro the main crop.  Our best year for toms so far.  Fabulous flavour.  Will do these again.

I grew Sweet Aperitif last year and got loads of (small) toms that we ate like sweets. My Mrs and I were only discussing toms earlier today as our niece was demolishing most of our current supply and pondering on why I didn't grow any this year: they're definitely on the list for next year though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 15:18 »
If anybody like toms that have quite an acidy twang (or is it just me  :blush: ) I can recommend Peardrops basket tom, it's a shame it's an F1 but I'll only grow 1 or 2 plants a year - so the packet will last a while  :lol:

I got mine from Nicky's
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden-shop/seeds/tomatoes-by-type/pear/

but a few other places sell them including Sutton's

PS.  It's not the same as Ildi or Yellow Pear - which are much less acid tasting IMO

18Forts1999

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 13:59 »
 Had no trouble with Ailsa Craig cordon grown on my exposed allotment. I defoliated and laid the cordons down onto   black fleece beneath a poly cloche 2 weeks ago and they are ripening nicely. However the two plants in the greenhouse did nothing this year.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 18:16 »
how high do u grow 100s and 1000s ?

Nobbie

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2015, 08:19 »
I picked up a packet of Orange Slice F1 from Fothergills at a local garden centre on a whim and have been very impressed with the results. Good size and close texture which grill well. They are also quite uniform without the big creases in of some other varieties. They were a bit late in ripening, but I think most beefsteaks are and this hasn't been a good year. I'll certainly grow again alongside sungold. They also grew well outside, but got blight just before they were ripe :(

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 16:06 »
I grew quite a few varieties this year as a taste experiment. Favourites were the baby plum, cherry and grape tomatoes. I saved some seed from supermarket toms, the variety was Angelle. It is a red grape tomato, everyone went wild for it, absolutely delicious with a sweet and very firm, crunchy and juicy texture. Yum. Other very good ones were Ambrosia Gold, Floridity F1, Sungold F1 and Orange Paruche.

xx
recommendations for what tomato feed.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 10:14
by Stree
xx
recommendations for tomato varieties

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 17:21
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Recommendations?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2019, 16:56
by Auntiemogs
xx
Recommendations for a new greenhouse

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 22:44
by noshed

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.