whats the best seed supplier?

• 26 Replies

3759allen

whats the best seed supplier?
« on: December 29, 2017, 20:39 »
haven't been on here for a while now since having my first child (taking far more time than i thought). i'm hoping i'll get more time with my little helper next year, so now thinking of my seed order for the year.

what seed supplier do you recommend (ideally on line)?

i used to use a seller on ebay (not going to name and shame) but the germination rate has got pretty poor over the last couple of years. i thought it may be me but even chitted half a pack of runner bean seeds that anyone can grow and got 5% germination. now thinking/ hoping it may be the seed supplier so looking for recommendations.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: whats the best seed supplier?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 23:15 »
Our Federation uses Kings, so far I have been very happy with both choice and quality.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 23:28 »
I buy mostly from Kings and Marshalls nowadays - but do sometimes get tempted by the other sites if they have a free postage offer (very useful for ordering seed potatoes) or multipack offer on.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:59 »
thank you kings prices look close to ebay prices. maybe try them this year.

just out of curiosity has anyone else found seeds on ebay have been lacking in quality over the last few years? my first year of growing i got all my seed from ebay and had very little failures, i thought it was me but i would like to think i'm learning and getting better techniques with every year but getting poorer germination.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:08 »
For seeds in bulk, it is very difficult to beat Moles Seeds.

https://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co.uk/

A couple of examples:

Autumn King carrots, Kings Seeds - £3.40 for 10,000. Moles Seeds £2.60 for twice as many.
Earlibird Sweetcorn, Kings Seeds - £1.80 for 50. Moles Seeds £3.80 for 250.

Postage is free on lightweight seeds, BUT there is a minimum order of £7.50 and you must need a lot of seed for yourself, or be able to split the packet with others. There is a further 3% off for paying at the time of order.

For smaller quantities, I use a well known internet trader, with whom I've never had a germination problem!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:41 »
I use D T Brown and have found them to be very good.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 15:26 »
Tried most of them find Moles the best
pipfit

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 16:27 »
Our site still use DT's but I noticed that although their prices stayed similar year on year the quantity reduced. We had one bad year when members discovered the seed was mixed up and some had germination issues. That said I never had a problem however the choice and quantity for me is why I use the fed option and use Kings, we get discount and it is a tad more for the seed but I found more choice and more seed per packet which when worked out is the same as DT price. I have never used ebay, cant track the source of the seed although I am sure there is a number of decent sellers ou there.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 17:14 »
 i buy a lot of my seed from moles have done for some years now i know they do come in larger quantity's than most but i think its value for money and i tend to use half the packet this year and the rest next year depending on the seed of cause

buy my seed potatoes beans peas green manure beet some carrot and onion seed i like there seed as well because they tend to do some pelleted seed that's better for me but having said that i also buy seed from Kings and browns never had any probs with the seed

i never buy seed from  online or garden centres except when the garden centres are selling seed of at the end of the season usually half price or less  :D

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 18:53 »
i have had seed from moles before but the quantities are far too big for me and i hate wasting. i think i actually used 4 year old moles beetroot seed last year that still germinated better than the new seeds from the ebay seller. i'll have a look at moles again, maybe just have to give surplus away.

this thread is interesting because i'm sure i saw a thread asking for recommendations and at least 80% of the replies recommended the ebay seller i'm talking about (me included). maybe everyone has noticed similar to me as no body has said they still recommend the popular ebay seller.

i'm going to take this as a positive as it means it hasn't just been me failing, but i can blame the seed. lol

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 21:40 »
I have to confess, I pay the premium for Suttons seeds normally, though I've ordered from Dobies this year and had a small issue that they are failing to deal with so far. Another plot holder loves Plants of Distinction and I may well give them a go next year as they have some fantastic tomato varieties available.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 18:34 by Plot 1 Problems »

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 16:02 »
I like Buy quality Vegetable Seeds - The Real Seed Catalogue UK. the heirloom online seller,haven't had any problems so far.They like you to save your own seed and suggest best ways to collect and save them  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 16:26 »
Real Seeds (like Carollan) and Premier Seeds Direct (ebay/Amazon) for me.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 17:42 »
Another vote for Real Seeds here.     Simpsons Seeds are good for chillies and tomatoes.

spadework

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 21:52 »
I would also recommend Wallis Seeds for value, service, and germination. They are for my main seed order.

http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/

I have also ordered from Real Seeds, DT Brown and Premier Seeds (ebay) this year. :)

xx
seed supplier

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 11:15
by DD.
xx
Best value seed supplier?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 13:16
by lacaya
xx
Best Value Seed Supplier?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 16:24
by whitehill1
xx
What seed supplier?????

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 21:59
by Cheshire Phill

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 56 queries.