yew trees

• 9 Replies

chrissie B

yew trees
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:54 »
Ive got 4 in a row im sure they should be darker green but are a bit mixed , they have sheeting and gravel on that , do if i scrape away a circul round each tree do you think they mit improve in colour ie a darker green olso ive got loads of chicken poo as well .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trikidiki

Re: yew trees
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 13:09 »
There is a 'Golden Yew' that is a much lighter green, its spring growth is more yellow giving it the name.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 14:25 »
I dont know , its very dark inside the tree ive got 4 of these the gravel comes up to the trunk ive heard they could get root problems and thought the gravel may hinder them a bit .
chrissie b
1460208253708.jpg
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 14:29 by chrissie B »

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 18:18 »
Looks like Golden Yew to me, as I aid the new growth is nearly yellow but it then matures to a darker green but not as dark as the Common Yew. I wouldn't be too worried by the gravel, they are very robust trees that in the ground will probably outlive you. We have two Common Yew trees which, sadly, have to come out as their exudate rots the roof of my shed. When they re-roofed the shed they hacked off branches up to about 12ft, They are already reshooting from the trunk about a month later. I can see a longbow project looming.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 19:06 »
Trees eh we worry about them like they were children i dont suppose a bit of chicken poo will hurt .
chrissie b

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 20:02 »
Personally I wouldn't use any chicken poo. It may cause it to produce sappy growth. Yew will plod along in its own sweet way without any pampering. I'd save the chicken poo for where its application will be more beneficial.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 09:31 »
They look rather good tbh Chrissie
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 13:39 »
Thanks i think they are great althouh hubby gave them a trim last year and left a couple holes but just checked and they have new growth in that area , ive been scowering the net to find the name of them and the nearest is standishi which has the berries and a mixed foliage which says if they were in shade then they would be darker but these are in the open , you can feed them , not withe chicken poo but an ever green fertilizer they seem happy enough just worried the colouring was wronge our soil here is a bit heavy and down each side of the garden is a strip of gravel and the trees are in it i have 6 larger trees on the other side all squished together whi h i got hubby to bring down a bit they are all different hights but look nice once cut .
chrissie b

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 19:03 »
Don't worry about bare patches, you can hack it back and it will regrow. I had an Irish yew once which I stripped back to the trunk and it re-sprouted all up the trunk. It was in a pot and got moved into an out of the way place and wasn't watered all summer and was a brown twig when I came across it. It got dumped in the compost then six months later when I turned the compost it was alive and shooting again from the trunk.

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 19:19 »
I dont think i would like to go that far as with my luck they would just die but im glad your survives have you still got it , i get the dead and dying  buxus from where hubby works they just bin them if they get scorched instead of putting in a different place i cut them back and they look a sight for ages but have had some sucess ive got them in various stages  considering some of them go for 30 quid they take ages but to get back into a ball .
chrissie b

clip
Can Anyone Help with Fiq Trees

Started by Kghareeb on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 18:46
by sunshineband
xx
bay trees

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 23:53
by lincspoacher
xx
yew trees

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 08:47
by simongrow250
xx
trees

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2017, 17:17
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.