Antipeck beak clips

• 7 Replies

Flowerpower136

Antipeck beak clips
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:59 »
Feather pecking still a concern. :(
The main culprit, Katy has now been separated in her own section of the run, so obviously that's put a stop to her, though she is returning to the coop at night to sleep. If the separation is to be permanent another smaller coop will have to be built for her and I've worked out how that can be done.  Always a handy thing to have anyway.
But now, another one, Pea, is showing signs of starting. :ohmy:
So, the spraying continues, though it's not making much difference and getting more difficult every day because they now know what I'm up to.
Really at the end of ideas, so finally coming round to the dreaded beak clip and about to order a couple of bumper bits from omlet. Prefer the look of these to the smaller ones just because there's more to get hold of. Doesn't look quite so fiddly.
Assuming I can get them on the pair of them, they can be worn for 2 weeks then have to come off?
Almost scared to ask.....but then what?
Anyone with experience of these things, please tell me all about it. All hints and tips welcome please.

RubyR3d

Re: Antipeck beak clips
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 21:39 »
I had a hen who was a terrible bully and used to wait in hiding for one of my other hens. I bought a couple of beak bits for pennies off the woman who sold me the hens. They are like a squashed " O " with an opening. I was so angry with her in the end I didn't find any difficulty in getting it on. I warmed it up first in hot water then wrapped her in a towel ,tucked her under my arm and pulled the ring open side upermost over the top of her beak and made sure the ends were in her nostrils. It leaves the beak just open so she can eat and drink. To be honest it was either that or the chop she was horrid. Eventually she moved on to another bird and I let her go to a friend who had other hens. I felt better in the knowledge that she would get a bit of her own medicine.With it on though she wasn't able to grip so feathers weren't pulled out. But she still tried.

RubyR3d

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 21:42 »
Oh sorry, meant to say I didn't take it out. Just checked every so often that it was ok, but left it in.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:23 »
Thanks Ruby.  Thats helpful.
Though Katy isn't a bully at all. She maintains order just by her stance and hard stares!  Best head chook ever to be honest.
This pecking thing started when one of them had a mini moult and she got addicted to feathers.  Doesn't pick on anyone in particular, just grabs a beakfull of feathers from whoever is near.  And they just stand and let her!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 14:02 »
Freezing and letting another hen peck you is a dominance thing. 

If you think they are chancing it, you face up to one another.  If the attacker is far higher up the pecking order, you stand and take it.  Maybe if you freeze, they won't see you and will leave you alone.

Katy maybe a bit more of a terror that you think and Pea might be trying to follow in her footsteps while Katy is safely behind a fence  ;)

I have only had one feather pecker and a beak ring for a couple of weeks put her right off the idea.  She was not at all impressed, but the others relaxed noticeably  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 14:33 »
Yes, that all makes sense. Katy is the top chook though she's the smallest by far.  She does keep order but does it by rushing right up to them and staring them out. Which I think is much better than pecking them into submission. Up to now I've liked her style. :tongue2:
Just been and sprayed all their knickers in the hope it will stop Pea before the habit gets a grip. Though if not, there is a beak clip on it way in the post with her name on it!
I can feel my heart getting a bit harder every day!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 13:17 »
Making some progress. :)
Daily use of the antipeck spray has put Pea off the idea, so that's been nipped in the bud at least.  Katy is back with her plucked friends, but now wearing an omlet bumper bit.
Took a couple of tries to get it on, and I broke one in the process, but worth it because she seems quite happy and has completely lost interest in feather pulling. :D. Will keep it on for another week and then take it off and hope she's forgotten her bad habit altogether.  Not nearly as traumatic an experience as I'd feared.
If she reverts, we are anyway making a permanent feature of the 'spare room' being a partitioned section of the run.  It's going to be a really useful addition to the set up.  The girls love being in there for some reason!  The gate separating it from the main run is left ajar, and they all pile in!  chooks are funny!
A 2nd much smaller coop is under construction and when not occupied will be a handy cupboard for storage. Perfect!
So, one way or another we will manage her!  But honestly, the lengths you have to go.to outwit a chicken! :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:16 »
Yay - success   :D  Katy's beak of terror is tamed and everyone else can regrow their feathers  :)

xx
beak clips

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 11:30
by joyfull
xx
The other beak clips?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 15:29
by grinling
xx
pinging antipeck specks

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:16
by chickenlady
xx
where to buy anti pecking clips

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 13:35
by Junie

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 40 queries.