Poorly chicken

• 5 Replies

alexroyall85

Poorly chicken
« on: May 21, 2018, 20:52 »
Evening all

I have noticed tonight that one of my chickens has gone all lethargic and was standing on her own in the corner of the run. As I picked her up she had no visible signs of being in well. I have placed her in a separate coop with water and feed. She made no attempt to have any water. Even with me showing her where it was. Any advice welcomed as I feel I may have missed something

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 21:02 »
If you have ticked off the basics like they have been wormed, her vent is clean and there is no sign of sour crop, it may be best just to leave her tonight and see how it goes in the morning.

Unfortunately they do mask illness well,  Sometimes it can be something as simple as she has laid a soft shell egg and it has made her feel pretty lousy.  Or she may be really quite ill and will just go in the night.  If she is still with you, but still depressed tomorrow, I'd suggest a vet visit.  Not eating or drinking will take her down pretty fast  :(

alexroyall85

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:38 »
Morning all

She was absolutely fine this morning eaten some food and had water. Comb standing up bright red and talking her head off. Perhaps it’s was just one of those things. Will keep her on her own for today and check on her after work

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:39 »
If they free range she may have eaten something that disagreed with her.  One of mine acted in a similar fashion and made a swift recovery after some tlc.  Hope she continues to improve!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38 »
That's good news.  Sometimes a bit of time on their own, without the need to compete for food or worry about anyone else is just what they need to bounce back  :)

rowbow

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:54 »
She could have eaten a bee, and it's stung her, even when dead the sting is still active?  :(

xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls
xx
Very Poorly Chicken

Started by bogwoppitinatree on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 12:11
by avalonbirds
xx
Help Poorly Chicken

Started by Nick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 10:58
by Aunt Sally
question
Poorly chicken

Started by Winterbourn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 22:41
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 40 queries.