Table Birds

• 11 Replies

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
Table Birds
« on: November 09, 2009, 17:45 »
Hi All, i am thinking of keeping a couple of table birds in the new year but don`t know what is the best type of chicken to keep and any advice please.
I appolagise if i upset anyone i know a lot of you keep chooks as pets (my ex batts are safe)
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: Table Birds
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 18:01 »
Hi Fred, a lot of us do just keep chooks as pets, but we aren't offended by people raising them for meat, as long as they get a good life thats all that matters. Fraid mine comes in plastic from the supermarket, because i cant do it myself and i dont know anyone close enough to buy from. Good luck with it :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 18:28 »
If you have a look at some of my posts Im doing the same thing.

Ive been recommended to speak to a chap at 'Poulais Anglais' who does day old chicks and hatching eggs

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 19:14 »
My advice would be to go on a course if you wish to raise birds for the table, it is very different experience to keeping a few laying hens. There a quite a number of members that have attended and have found it helpful :)

have a look here, Alison does a very good course covering all aspects of raising birds for meat ;)

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/chicken-course/chicken-course-hampshire.php

poppies

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28 »
If you have a look at some of my posts Im doing the same thing.

Ive been recommended to speak to a chap at 'Poulais Anglais' who does day old chicks and hatching eggs

We have bought from these before very helpful,  even dropping them off at the hovercraft for us - in a box,  not to make their own way across

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:54 »
We have had day old's from Poulet Anglais too.  Very good service.  The chickens grew at a rate of knots, they say ready to slaughter at 8-10 weeks, which will give an oven ready weight of about 3 lb or more, but we left them a couple more weeks and got some good sized birds.  We killed the cockerals first as thet were the biggest.

We have a few left to kill and wont be getting any more now till spring.  The chicks have to be kept under heat and as we reared them when the weather was hot we only had them under for about 3 weeks, but this time of yr they would need heat for much longer.  Economically it's not the best idea.

We had the Hubbards, 'JA57' type.  A white bird specifically bred for the table.  They look quite different from a laying hen, much thicker legs and obviously more 'meaty'.  They sit down a lot which is strange after seeing hens on their feet and active all day.  It is due to their weight I suppose.

We found them to be hardy and healthy birds and have had no problems with them.  We feed them growers pellets, (chicken rearer/finisher).  They have to kept seperate from the hens as they have different food so we had to fence off a new area and get another shed.

Good luck if you do decide to do it, but remember there is a lot of work involved with killing, plucking and gutting, it's not a 2 minute job.  The meat is denser and tastier than flabby supermarket chicken and does benefit from slower cooking.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:11 »
Some good advice as usual thanks, i have experiance with rabbits, Hares and ducks aswell as chickens but its been some years, thanks again Fred

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 14:39 »
Actually they are JA757's Sam!!!  And Simon of Poulet Anglais also does a JA787 which is supposed to get a little bigger.  The biggest cockerel we had weighed 18lbs dead weight!!!

We've been buying Simon's chicks and fertile eggs for over 2 years now.  Wonderful man, and nice tasty birds as long as, like SMD66 says, you cook them for longer on a lower heat setting.

Simon delivers all over England Fred, and he will arrange delivery as near to you as possible, maybe Trevor the driver meeting you at a motorway service station or nearest town.  It depends of course on how many you want!  They are 80p each delivered I think, or fertile eggs are 35p each I think, but courier isn't cheap for the eggs. 

When you are ready, give him a call on 07787 533325 or 01790 763066

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 14:58 »
Actually they are JA757's Sam!!! 

Trust me!  :wacko:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 15:26 »
Thought I'd better correct you as you wouldn't want to end up with half a chicken would you????   or rather, 2 thirds of one!!   :D :D :D

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 07:51 »
as long as it's the breast and not the legs!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:28 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:    Some peeps got to have the last word haven't they????      :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

xx
Best table birds????

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 08:49
by Sassy
xx
What are the best birds for the table?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 16:51
by noshed
xx
Table Birds

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 00:16
by Caralou
xx
Rearing Table birds

Started by Tiggersmate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 21:28
by Tiggersmate

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 40 queries.