New home for the girls

• 9 Replies

grinling

New home for the girls
« on: December 09, 2016, 19:35 »
The girls seem to be enjoying the polytunnel minus the hen house and it is a lot bigger than the chicken run.
The food bill will go up as no free ranging, esp as brassicas have been badly hit by moths this year.

How are your hens coping with being locked in?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: New home for the girls
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29 »
Grumbling but they'll just have to get on with it  :lol:

Hanging up greens is good diversion tactic.  I also give mine a small seed mix which a local pet supplier sells bagged as budgie tonic mix.  It is tiny seeds that take a good long while to pick up if scattered across the run.  A finch mix wild bird food would be similar.  Lasts much longer than corn  ;)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:15 »
might try that.I have been putting leaves & pumpkins in there, even when they free ranged. Forgot to buy some cabbages.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 13:29 »
I've just been out to buy a big bag of ballast so they have access to some new grit and stuff.
We've not got veg anyway, so we have to buy them greens. They prefer broccoli, and only ever eat the green outer leaves of saboy cabbages and leave most of it

grinling

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 19:12 »
mine like sweetheart cabbage

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:58 »
When I run out of veg for mine, they like those cheap bags of loose leaf heads sold as 'greens' by the supermarkets.  They are generally well under a £1 for 3 or 4 heads. 

Their real favourite, however, is an iceburg lettuce from the co-op down the road, currently selling for 49p.  I'm sure it is not as good for them as dark green leaves, but mine fall on it like they have never seen veg before and shred it to rags.  They get at least 1 a week just because they have so much fun with it  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:40 »
When I run out of veg for mine, they like those cheap bags of loose leaf heads sold as 'greens' by the supermarkets.  They are generally well under a £1 for 3 or 4 heads. 

Does anyone acutally eat those "greens" - I regularily buy them for the rabbits, it's one of their staple vegetables!

This time of year my chickens don't get a lot of free range time as I'm at work during light hours.  Going to be tough come the weekend...

Hannah :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 18:11 »
No idea if this link will work, but worth a try!
I've just ordered a cheap xylophone on eBay and will be searching the charity shop for chook entertainment items!
https://www.facebook.com/TwoCreativeChicks/videos/1112477548878114/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:46 »
It works   :D 

Love the way they are trying to peck the black dots off the middle of the drums  :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 13:25 »
Have to say, mine are doing ok. The chook palace is working really well especially with the additional feature of Katie's annexe. No extra space, just divided the original run, but they all love it in there.
Heart stopping to glance out of the kitchen window and see the main run completely empty.  Look closer and all 8 are in a huddle under Katie's coop in the annexe.  Like the bikesheds in the playground!
Katy (the feather plucker) is for the time being, back in with the flock and sleeping in the big coop.  Her coop has been cleared out and has become the flock day room.  I've no idea why they are going in there, it's completely empty. Not even a perch. From the number of mucky footprints it looks like they've been having a tea dance!
Never a dull moment.

xx
Home Dye Job!

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 17:40
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Home at last

Started by Debsie on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 17:26
by Flowerpower136
smiley
New Girls

Started by Lardman on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 10:21
by Lardman
exclamation
Come on girls, I'll be look-out!

Started by TeaPots on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:38
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 41 queries.