Will my soon to be Hens eat my moss in my grass?

• 15 Replies

MrTwang

Will my soon to be Hens eat my moss in my grass?
« on: February 23, 2012, 23:47 »
Hi all, this weekend my wife and I are going on a course about chooks!
We know we want them and have the coop already in place but want to make sure we fully understand what we are letting ourselves in for!

Now back to the question.. Our back garden has a bit of moss in a certain area. Will the Chooks eat this and if so is it harmfull to them in any way?

To be honest from everything I have lernt on here I don't think I will hear much at the weekend that I haven't read on here already! This is a brilliant forum and full of great information.

Paul.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Will my soon to be Hens eat my moss in my grass?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 23:54 »
Whaaa thank yuuuuuu!
My hen has scratched up load of moss but doesn't eat it.  I've gathered it ready to put on top of pot plants  (a bit like they do in garden centres).

I've beeen assured hens won't eat slug pellets - not risking it anyway.... that was my concern when I started out.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:05 »
Hi and welcome, agree with nerdle hens make brilliant moss removers,but hav'nt seen them eating any..Aden..

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36 »
I'm afraid my *cough* lawn is more moss than grass after my chickens were finished with it  :mad:

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15 »
Mine would have to be different  ::), they do actually pick at it & eat some but it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

As Casey says, after the mainly damp winter we have had, 'ploughed field' describes better what is behind our house, rather than 'lawn'!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:17 by helens-hens »
Helen

MrTwang

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32 »
That's good news! I have been looking for an excuse to re-turf my lawn for a while now.. We have very fine fragile grass and I can't stand it. Compleatly wrong for our garden!

We want children as well as chickens so will have to come up with something.

Thanks,
Paul.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45 »
I seriously would not bother re-turfing if you're going to introduce chickens. I can pretty much guarantee that your lawn will look like the aftermath of Glastonbury festival a few weeks after introducing chickens!!!

dugless

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29 »
I seriously would not bother re-turfing if you're going to introduce chickens. I can pretty much guarantee that your lawn will look like the aftermath of Glastonbury festival a few weeks after introducing chickens!!!

I definitely second that, when I put four ex bats in my orchard there was not a blade of grass or weeds after a few weeks :) :)
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45 »
My husband did not want hens on his lawn but he got them but he was a changed man when upon gazing on of the bedroom window at his sward he saw that the patch that had  had the hens on it was greener than the rest. They had raked out the moss and eaten the daisies and weeds out of it. He loved them after that but I had to keep filling in their divots with turfs cut from his least visited bits of lawn, hoping he wouldn't notice  8)

I bought a netting corale from Omlet so I could move them round the lawn

SMS6

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 13:10 »
we've been moving ours around our grass areas since we had them back in June and they've done a brilliant job of scarifying the moss out and up until winter set in our grass was looking better than it has done for years.

Now they are restricted to a none grass area and have been for a month or so to let the grass recover - mainly because it got so wet and boggy

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 15:09 »
My hens graze the moss seed heads http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildcardinal/6178741826/   off the lawn edgings as soon as it grows back .
No ill effects so far. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 15:10 »

Ours looks like the Battle of the Somme with deep holes dug in it.  It is their own area so I don't mind.  We did turf it last year and it lasted right up to the start of winter which I thought was good going.  They are happy scratting around and then enjoy an hour or so in the rest of the garden so they don't wreck our lawn.  Won't bother returfing this year though.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 16:37 »
They scratch up loads of moss bless them. It doesn't compost though, well not in under 20 years  :D, so I put it in the council bin.  'bout the only thing that does go in there :)

ehs284

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 18:49 »
That's good news! I have been looking for an excuse to re-turf my lawn for a while now.. We have very fine fragile grass and I can't stand it. Compleatly wrong for our garden!

Thanks,
Paul.
HoHoHo ...lawn, chickens and children HoHoHo

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 20:12 »

Thanks,
Paul.
HoHoHo ...lawn, chickens and children HoHoHo
yes, I had a good laugh at that as well :D

xx
Hens on grass

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:09
by Sassy
xx
Feeding Grass To Hens

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:49
by Jeanette
xx
Are there any chicken friendly lawn feeding/weed & moss killing treatments?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 11:35
by compostqueen
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.