Preen gland blocked? (yuk!)

• 2 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Preen gland blocked? (yuk!)
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:57 »
Hi all.

My girl Elsie's preen gland is big and red and swollen.  It makes me feel quite queasy even typing that as it does look quite gross.

I didn't know what it was until I started Googling and discovered all about chickens and their preen glands (it makes me worry what I else I don't have a clue about!).

I had a look at my other girls and theirs are just like extended nipples (am I allowed to use that word before the watershed? :)), with no swelling or redness around them.

Elsie is a bit subdued but then they all are in this heat (all in holes the flowerbeds, under shrubs and in the shade).  I don't think it is an infection as she is cool under her wings...  Her comb is still quite red and she came running out of the house this morning when I let them out and tucked into her pellets as well as the others.

Does anyone know - is it possible for a preen gland to become blocked?  I read on the interworldwidenetwebthingy that problems with preen glands are often associated with a vitamin A deficiency but how does a chicken on ex-batts pellets (none of that cheap stuff for my girls!) with greens or corn or some other veg for late afternoon treat end up with a vit A deficiency?  And would giving her a boost of vitamin A help, or make things worse?  I was thinking of a tin of mackerel or salmon...

I have made an appointment with my vet (who is fab with chickens) but can't get to see her until tomorrow afternoon so I was wondering if there was anything I could do in the meantime...

Many thanks in advance...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Preen gland blocked? (yuk!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 18:27 »
I wouldn't try to do anything just wait for the vet, I supposed hers getting blocked could be just one of those things like some dogs get blocked and swollen glands. You vet may give you some antibiotics as the redness could be caused through it being infected, but if she drains it then get her to show you how to do it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: Preen gland blocked? (yuk!)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 21:01 »
Thanks joyfull but I think I might be sick if the vet "drains" anything out of that lump!

Elsie is running around with the others at the moment, watching my husband and the cat put up and dismantle a tent (he's going camping this weekend - without the cat - and wants to practise putting the tent up so he doesn't make a fool of himself in front of other, more experienced, tent dwellers!) so she's obviously not feeling too unwell.

Will see what the vet says tomorrow.

Thanks again joyfull...

question
Preen gland

Started by mildred on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:13
by 8doubles
xx
Preen Gland

Started by Zoidberg on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 16:12
by agapanthus
xx
preen gland

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 15:27
by JACDORE
xx
Preen gland - infected?

Started by Zoidberg on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 13:29
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 40 queries.