best way to kill a turkey!

• 3 Replies

cornfed

« on: November 04, 2007, 17:01 »
hi i just wondered what is the easiest and quickest way to kill a turkey, i have just got my first two turkeys, one for Christmas lunch and one for newyears lunch and was wondering how to go about killing them.
I have killed and dressed my own chickens but a turkey is a lot BIGGER  and stronger bird.
just want  it to be quick for the bird!

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 17:36 »
make a loop of 1/2 inch  rope about 20 inch in length .take one end loop through a rafter or a hook of some kind ,a tree limb will do .take the bird and put its legs through a second loop  and then it will slide down tight on its feet now ,apply the same neck break hold as you do with a chicken and use your full body wieght  going down until the neck parts .. allow to flap for as long as it need to ........ alternativly have someone hold the bird tightly while you apply a large pair of pliers or humane kilers to its nexk close squeeze hard and its done ,allow to flap as above  this will drive all blood down to the break .if you are hand plucking start immediatly with wings  butt and then back legs and breast  allow top hang undrawn for a week or until you wish in a cold place ,, hope this helps .same applies for geese and any other large bird  :)
still alive /............

cornfed

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 17:44 »
Thanks for the advice,
i feel confident that i can do that and end up knowing that the bird hasnt suffered.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 17:57 »
calm  and quietly is the key cornfed matey .. i have some posts on the same thing in killing a bird for the table in poultry info  :wink:

xx
Will he Kill ?

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 23:10
by hillfooter
xx
Fox kill

Started by Vanya on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:09
by OpiumEater
xx
kill, pluck and gut course

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 22:02
by pepsi100
xx
Could my chickens kill me??

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 27, 2007, 23:51
by babe

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.