Turks Turban Squash

• 1 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Turks Turban Squash
« on: September 01, 2006, 20:11 »
Hi - I've got a Turks Turban squash on my pumpkin patch that is about 8 inches across and bright yellow - looks like the picture on the pack, so I'm assuming it's ripe?  Or do I leave it until just before the frosts, regardless?

Any ideas what I can actually DO with it?  I'd rather eat it than look at it  :lol:

Mel

wellingtons

Pick sooner rather than ...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 20:51 »
... later if you want to eat it.  I read somewhere that Turk's Turbans are better harvested young.

My best recipes for pumpkin are

Thai Pumpkin Soup

1kg of pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into small cubes
1tbsp veg oil
1 chopped onion
2.5 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
4 tsp red thai curry paste
450ml veg stock
400ml coconut milk

Season and roast pumpkin in oven (gas mark 4) for 30 minutes.  

Heat the oil and saute onion and ginger in a medium pan for about 10 mins.  Add curry paste for a couple of mins, then add roasted pumpkin, stock and coconut milk.  Cover and bring to the boil, simmer for 5 mins.  

Cool before whizzing to a puree with your chosen implement.  Add stock or hot water if it's too thick for your personal taste.

And Nigella's Seafood and Pumpkin Curry ... which I have unashamedly cut and pasted here.

14 ounces canned coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons yellow (or red) Thai curry paste
1 1/2 c of fish stock (I use boiling water and concentrated fish bouillon; Cubes would do.)
3 tablespoons of fish sauce
2 tablespoons of sugar
3 lemongrass stalks, each cut into three and bruised with the flat of a knife
3 lime leaves, stalked and cut into strips
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
2 1/4 pounds of pumpkin (or butternut squash) peeled and cut into large bite-size chunks
18 ounces of salmon fillet, preferably organic, skinned and cut into large bite-size chunks
18 ounces of peeled raw shrimp
Bok choi or any other green vegetables of your choice
Juice of 1/2 lime--use up to a full lime to taste
Cilantro, to serve

Skim the creamy top off the can of coconut milk and put it--over medium heat--into a large saucepan or casserole with the curry paste. Let it sizzle and (using a fork, whisk or wooden spoon) beat milk and paste together until combined. Still beating gently, add the rest of the coconut milk, fish stock, fish sauce, sugar, lemongrass, lime leaves and turmeric. Bring to a boil and then add the pumpkin. Cook on a fast simmer until the pumpkin is tender (about 15 minutes). Different sorts of pumpkins can vary enormously in the time they take to cook; Some squash takes as little as five minutes.

As I mentioned, you can cook the curry up till this part in advance, maybe leaving the pumpkin with a tiny bit of bite to it. (It will soften and cook as the pan cools.) Either way, when you're about five minutes away from wanting to eat, get ready to cook the seafood.

So, to the robustly simmering pan, add the salmon and shrimp. (If you are using frozen shrimp, they'll need to go in before the salmon.) When the salmon and shrimp have cooked, which shouldn't take more than three to four minutes, stir in any green vegetable you're using--sliced, chopped or shredded as suits--and tamp down with a wooden spoon. When the bok choi's wilted, squeeze in the juice of half a lime, stir and taste and add the juice of the remaining half, if you feel it needs it. Take the pan off the heat or decant the curry into a large bowl and sprinkle over the cilantro. The point is that the cilantro goes in just before serving. Serve with more chopped cilantro for people to add to their own bowls as they eat--and some plain Thai or basmati rice.

Serves four to six people.

xx
Turks Turban

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2006, 13:21
by cathbaddeley
xx
What to make with Turks head squash?

Started by smudger28 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 07:03
by arugula
xx
turk's turban

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 12:23
by compostqueen
xx
butternut squash

Started by gardengran on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 21:31
by Apoc

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.