Planting out Tomatoes

• 21 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Planting out Tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 00:32 »
Kind of depends which forecast you believe though, doesn't it. The Met Office forecast for my postcode predicts no overnight temps less than 7 or 8 degrees all week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 08:50 »
Tomatoes and tender veg really don't like temperatures under 10C and can sulk and die whether frosted or not.
Tomatoes turn a fetching bronzy/blue  :( colour and never seem to recover very well afterwards.

Fingers crossed for everbody who has already planted 'stuff'  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 09:27 »
Kind of depends which forecast you believe though, doesn't it. The Met Office forecast for my postcode predicts no overnight temps less than 7 or 8 degrees all week.

Indeed! weather.com had me down for 8C last night, so I was planning to do nothing. In the evening my wife said she heard it was going to be cold, I checked Metcheck and that said 6C so I went out and earthed up the spuds that were just poking through, and brought in the plants that were hardening off ...

... and on the 11PM TV forecast they said 3C so I went out with a torch and fleeced the First Early spuds that are already earthed up ...

I expect the neighbours are uploading a Benny Hill style video as I type !!

The nearest wunderground weather station recorded a Min of 2.8C overnight ... so good job I got the fleece out I reckon

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21 »
yes, I noticed the forecast of temperatures tumbled as the evening wore on - by the time it got to the "possibility of frost", it was too late to be going to the allotment to be earthing up the potatoes  :mad:

Luckily, nothing else planted out as I was feeling a little poorly last weekend & not up to going out to do any digging (perhaps a good thing now  ::)) and this morning it was cold, but definitely frost free where I live

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 12:34 »
Have just cleaned the living room and am getting fed up of moving all the trays of tomato seedlings on and off window sills.  So I'm looking on some advice on when the best time to plant them out on the patch?
I was talking to a friend the other day and she said she waits until the first flowers, but I think thats weeks away!!!

Why not just leave the cleaning until July/August and then you won't need to do it again until next year :tongue2:!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 13:13 »
Why not just leave the cleaning until July/August and then you won't need to do it again until next year :tongue2:!

Yes, I'd agree with that :) My utility room becomes a temporary greenhouse every year, and I don't even think about cleaning up the worktops and windowsill until after they've all gone outside.

We do seem to be very lucky here in Wilts, don't know what our temps were last night but it was certainly nowhere near a frost. I do find the Met Office website pretty accurate, if you zoom right in to your postcode.

Nadlen

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 21:12 »
It said we will have +2 last night but it didnt happen. I dont believe internetz since I went to corporate party dressed like it was winter coz i read forecast. Everyone were in shorts. :tongue2:

question
Planting out Tomatoes

Started by AndyArch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 12:43
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Planting tomatoes.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2023, 20:06
by AndyRVTR
xx
planting tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 09:12
by missmoneypenny
xx
I don't remember planting all these tomatoes

Started by aqua on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 05:43
by suziet88

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 41 queries.