• 17 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
raspberry yoghurt ice
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 18:32 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "Wizzy"
fancy posting a few recipes ...please :D
Who me? For yogurt?  Couldn't be much easier ...

150ml active yogurt starter
3500ml whole milk
1 Tbsp skimmed milk powder

Heat milk to 115 degs F in microwave (use a lowish setting).  It takes precisely 21 minutes at 3rd highest setting in mine.

Meanwhile, whisk together the starter and the milk powder.

Add the milk, mix lightly and maintain at 110-115 degs for 6 hours.

Last bit is dead easy with an Aga - I just set towels on top of the cover of the warming plate.  Wrap container and set on top.

You can keep some of one batch to start another but after 2 or 3 generations it gets too sour (competition from air-bourne stuff).

WG, can you recommend a starter? I recently made yoghurt, very successfully, but it was a one hit wonder, so I put it down to luck, as all subsequent attempts (2) have miserably failed - the failed yoghurt mixture seemed to bubble and the whey and curds separated. I'm assuming the airbourne  bacteria found a way in? The first one we used as soft cheese, and it was okay - edible but not very good. The second one was too strong and sour, we had to get rid  :( . I'm now reluctant to try again, even though I swore I'll never buy yoghurt again after the first success.

Ps: I only make a litre, with a tablespoon of natural greek yoghurt, boil the milk (full fat) and let it cool to a guessed temperature (drops to back of hand not burning :oops: ), put it all in a flask (sorta sterilised with hot water), shake and leave for 10 - 12 hours. First attempt was yummy and sooo creamy! I'd love to do it again...
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

raspberry yoghurt ice
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 18:42 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
The first one we used as soft cheese, and it was okay - edible but not very good.
Did you see my soft cheese recipe link above?  It is really good (and really low fat by comparison with La Roule etc).

I use Total strained Greek as a starter 'cos I like Greek yogurt.  I have had failures too so it seems the product either ages or is inconsistent.  When I get a batch that works well, I freeze the made stuff in quantities to use as a starter on subsequent batches.  I'd suggest maybe 2 Tbsp of starter per litre and a 6hr incubation as above.

I suggest you get a thermometer since the active ingredients are killed by too high a temperature & won't work with too low a one.  An electric water-bath yogurt maker would repay you in the long run.  An Aga is a bit pricey these days if you only want a yogurt maker!!

gobs

raspberry yoghurt ice
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 10:49 »
A must try that one, if just for the way, which seems to be unavailable nowadays. :roll:  :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
yoghurt

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 21:28
by michellela
xx
Yoghurt??

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 08:20
by Patricia
xx
Really easy yoghurt.

Started by orchardlady on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 15:54
by orchardlady
xx
How do I strain yoghurt?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 05:17
by tosca100

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 38 queries.