Mabel's Beak

• 2 Replies

PaulineM

Mabel's Beak
« on: August 26, 2010, 15:51 »
Hi
I have had my chickens for 2 weeks now. We noticed when we let them out of their coop on their first morning with us that Mabel's beak wasn't quite right. The lower beak is completely 'U' shaped and the top beak is much shorter but with a slightly longer bit on one side, almost like it has been broken off. Do you think she has been de-beaked or is it deformed or maybe she has had an injury to it. She does eat well and is one of the two out of six of my chickens that lays regularly. Do I need to do anything about it? I did try to include a picture but I got a message saying it was too large a file, if anyone can help me on that as well I could try to include a picture.
Thanks
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Casey76

Re: Mabel's Beak
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi Pauline, where did you get mabel from?  It sounds as if she has been debeaked.  Most chickens adapt to this, but if there is a big difference in the size of her beaks, then she may do better with mash or ex-batt crumb :)

PaulineM

Re: Mabel's Beak
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 16:07 »
Hi Casey76
I got her from a local breeder with my other 5 and they are all fine. She is the only one we can catch and she is a very colourful character. She seems to eat fine and I have seen her pick grass etc, no problem. She was in a pen where she was bred but free ranges with us now so maybe this will help her beak.

xx
Mabel's sickening for something

Started by susan - happy hens on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 23:40
by henamoured
clip
RIP Mabel - help with possible reason

Started by gracie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:42
by New shoot
xx
Meet Mabel and Gertrude!

Started by beki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:26
by Jellyhead
xx
mary,mabel and midge

Started by darlomidge on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 19:24
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.