Chillies

• 7 Replies

simpson-allen

Chillies
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:58 »
Do all chillies go red if left long enough? Reason I ask is that I've grown them for the first time and one's gone completely yellow. Is this a transition on its way to red or is that its final colour and just the type of chillie I've grown.

Also ditto my peppers although none have turned from green yet. Will they and if so do they turn red eventually?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Chillies
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22 »
Hi S-A,

All chillis don't go red, some go purple for instance so I would suggest that yellow is the "destination" colour of your variety of chilli, as the ones which end up red go from green through a bit of blackish discolouration (quite normal) to red.

Same for peppers, not all go red.

Hope this helps.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

simpson-allen

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38 »
thanks for that. How long do you think I should leave the pepper to shows signs of turning red before I resign myself to the fact they're all going to be green (the only colour pepper I'm not keen on >:(). The seed packet showed all three colours i.e. green, yellow and red.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:53 »
I have far less experience with peppers, they don't grow so well in our cooler climes ::), but I'd ask where you have them growing i.e. greenhouse, outside, in the house etc, as outside temperature is becoming a big factor now with getting things like this to ripen on the plant. You may have to give in and take them off the plant. Having not been in this position before, I don't know if they ripen off the plant as chillis do, but I presume they will. I'm sure someone will clarify this.

:)

simpson-allen

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:07 »
In a nice warm greenhouse. One's been fully grown for over a month so I guess I got given the green variety despite the picture on the seed packet.

someoneorother

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 16:28 »
Just a guess, but the fact that you have all three colours on the packet suggets that perhaps the packet was a mixture of different types? That is, any single plant will be either a red or a yellow fruited type. That's how it works with 'rainbow' chard, certainly (completely different plant, I know). Just a thought, is all.

CZ Silhouette

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 17:03 »
In a nice warm greenhouse. One's been fully grown for over a month so I guess I got given the green variety despite the picture on the seed packet.

It might yet turn red. My turned really fast once they started. I managed to get 10 peppers for two plants. I only let them have limited numbers per plant so the fruits develope better.

My chillies I picked green & strung them, now they are startiing to go red.
MY BACKS ACHING!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45 »
in my experience so long as they are begining to go red (even a teeny bit) when picked they continue to redden off the plant.

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
chillies

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:35
by siandc
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
Chillies

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:52
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.