hens on allotments?

• 15 Replies

basenji

hens on allotments?
« on: August 22, 2006, 13:11 »
Hi all, I've just joined the forum so please don't shout too loud if this is off topic!
Is anybody keeping poultry on their allotments here?
If so I'd like to pick your brains on the subject.

bw
Mel

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
hens on allotments?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 21:13 »
:) Hi there, Yep, I keep 6 lovely hens on one of my plots. Feel free to pick my small brains!
  Becky.
Peas out!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hens on allotments?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 22:57 »
I fought the mother of all lobbying jobs to win the right but held off due to some people on the site expressing concerns that they would all die from avian flu if I brought a chicken onto the site.

Now the news has found other things to panic about it's on my list for next year.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

basenji

hens on allotments?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 22:58 »
Hi Becky
I'm not a million miles away then, I'm in east devon.
The query is that we're trying to give the council some persuasive arguments to allow poultry on the allotments.
I know that without a bylaw, they can't prevent it, and up until the vocal 6 started the abusive phone calls they were all for it. The sort of info I'm looking for is any guidance as to run area etc and welfare provisions your assoc or council might have put in place.
Also whether you're aware of how any objections might have been handled.
The actual keeping of poultry isn't an issue to us, its how to deal with the admin wheels and the "say-no-to-any-change" brigade;-)

bw
mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hens on allotments?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 23:03 »
Refer them to the government reports on allotments (links on the links section) and ask who made the decision not to allow them. Bet you that worries any council flunky.

As for welfare, get a good book like Starting with Chickens or better still, see if any local agricultural colleges do a course. You shouldn't keep any animal without having some knowledge.

Hope that helps

basenji

hens on allotments?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 23:04 »
Hi John
Yes, we started out on this as they had a "no poultry" rule in the non-statutory ones, I (and my big mouth!) pointed out that it wasn't enforcable. It's snowballed into a bit of a battle now, we have (allegedly) councillors hoping it will all just go away...however we have a few who would like to keep poultry on their plots...and the antis which I've described above. I'm looking for any angle on this as I seem to be the torch bearer...not something I relish tbh!

bw
mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hens on allotments?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:53 »
The gov reports give you some angles - expanding allotment usage, etc.

As for welfare  issues,, the more prescriptive the coucil is the more they could be held liable -

What they really want is to not cause a nuisance - cockcrow at 4am in urban areas is not popular, free ranging hens on an allotment site are not good either.  So, some phrase about not causing a nuisance to others and in accordance with good welfare practice covers it all except for stopping someone setting up a huge battery unit.
They can cover that by limiting the number of birds and the size of housing .

The main points to consider for the prospective keeper are that they need to be willing to go to the plot each day and to consider both 4 legged vermin (foxes) and 2 legged (vandals)

Take a look at This Report

becky

• Experienced Member
hens on allotments?
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 22:02 »
Slight problem, in that my plots aren't council run, they are owned by the manor, (well the peeps that own the manor), and looked after by landagents. We actually have an "agricultural let", on our plots, so in theory, I can pretty much put whatever livestock I want on there. I wouldn't though as there probably would be uproar!
As for sizes of runs etc..., ours is 4 metres by 20 metres, 7ft high, divided in the middle, so the hens only have half at a time. I now have 6 hens in a 2ft by 5ft shed.
Where complaints are concerned, I wouldn't have a clue, as we just speak to the landagent, who then follows up any complaints anyone has made. I wouldn't know with the council. Though, luckily enough, I have 2 friends who work for Exeter city council, and I could ask them if they can help.

basenji

hens on allotments
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 13:47 »
Hi all
Yes Becky it might be worth an enquiry.

We've tripped over a couple of vociferous yet anonymous phone complainers. This has pushed one councillor to "remember" that a bylaw does exist...my immediate response was to ask to see it...not seen yet;-)

The next meeting is the 13th so we're still looking at evidence on this issue.

I'll keep you all posted on it.

bw
Mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
hens on allotments?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 14:18 »
Good luck - and do let us know :)

Fluff

• Experienced Member
allotment
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 22:37 »
Hi everyone new to site and potential chicken keeper.
Have two options.
Wanted to keep chickens in garden but facing some resistance and also dont feel they mix well with two football mad boys.
Next option is allotment but little anxious about the reaction some of you seem to have got.
Have recently moved from Carlisle where they had some poultry allocation allotments.
Not researched locally in moulton Northants but hopefully fairly easy.
Seems strange that want to to keep chickens to relax an have slower life an have to fight to keep them!
NOT ARF !

basenji

hens on allotments
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 22:51 »
Hi fluff and welcome.
My reading of the law regarding hens on allotments is that they are allowed except in the case of a local bylaw.
This is the issue I've kicked over in Seaton as they have a non-statutory rule saying "no poultry"...on closer interrogation they admitted this was unenforceable. My original thrust was purely for the welfare of poultry as the plots are of variable size and if I knew, then what would prevent someone overstocking etc on an unsuitable plot?
I've since had a local councillor throw their hat in the ring without even discussing the issue (failed to turn up at the 2 meetings) and aparat from resorting to councillor strangulation, I now have the long haul of meetings etc.
But where you are, try this site:
http://www.northamptonallotments.co.uk/

hth
mel

Fluff

• Experienced Member
allotments
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 22:12 »
Thanks for the link.
Have decided in meantime to have moveable hut an run in medium sized garden at home. Can move it around so the grass does not get destroyed to quickly. Am looking for allotments in moulton . Have not researched your link yet but maybe it might show the location of them so i can go n check out. Then will go for bigger set up.

becky

• Experienced Member
hens on allotments?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 20:29 »
:D Hi there, I have sent you a pm, just seeing if it worked!

flymo01

hens on allotments?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 23:58 »
i am allowed to keep chickens on my allotment but not allowed cockerells also i am limited to 30 any more than that is deemed a business , dont worry folks i am not keeping 30 when i get the allotment sorted as i have only had it since may this year i will have about a dozen we also arent allowed to keep geese ducks and ostriches (lol not that you see many ostriches in newcastle upon tyne lmao ) i breed and show rex rabbits as well and am planning on moving them up to the allotment in October but i have to make the garden human proof as its been hit by vandels lately which have been killing pigeons by throwing them through greenhouses or hitting them with hammers grrrrrr

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 39 queries.