Chickens on the allotment

• 11 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« on: November 19, 2006, 21:47 »
Hello all!  I have just today converted a small shed on my allotment into a chicken coop, plus added an 8' x 4' run onto it?

Does anyone else keep their fowl on an allotment and, if so, do you get any/many problems?  Can anyone offer advice please only I am hoping to populate it in the next few weeks.  I have made it as fox-proof as I can by burying mesh and slabbing around edges.

Also, does anyone have a solar hatch opener? are they any good?

Thanks

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 21:53 »
so long as you have no human problems tyou should be fine . the shed needs sharp materials sticking around the edegs as well , also if you can get hld of the interwoven fencing that is used on sports fields etc as a secondary skin burying it at least 2 ft down around the outside  and the run wiring if you was breaking into the shed how would you do it ?thenthink fox :wink:
still alive /............

Robinjw13

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 20:16 »
Adding to the question, rather than answering it, but I believe hens can be excellent slug and slug-egg eaters if left to roam on the allotment. But which breeds are best at this and are least likely to devour the vegetables?

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 20:25 »
answer to that robin , is non .all of them will eat crops .bantams are kinder but not so usfull for eggs .and its all insects bugs etc  they will eat so are good for the plots the fun starts when they get hold of a big black slimy slug about 3 inches long

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 21:56 »
Thanks for replies.  

Muntjac, have I been over cautious with my shed by putting felt around the outside and boarding inside with plywood?  The shed was on the site already when I took it on this year and had a number of holes in.  It was getting damp in the rain so I have fixed the roof too.  The felt around the outside was to stop leaks through the sides because there are small gaps in the cheap feather edge boards.

Cheers.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 22:04 »
if i said yes mate and your chickens got took u would say i was a wasuck , i will tell you this ,i have seen a fox jump a 10 foot wall by climbing up the nearby tree jump down squeese through a gap by using its paw to open it wider then push its nose in on the gate  push a dead  chicken up against the gate to reopen it and then use a parked car to get back over the wall . i never under estimate the fox .you do what ever you want in making your chooks safe , i sure as hell do lolo

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 22:05 »
in fact i would wire the walls of the shed outside and double skin the run with council fencing wire  as i have done  :wink:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 22:29 »
Point taken.  I was concerned I was being overzealous but wanted to keep them warm (when I get them) through the winter and not sweat them in the summer, if this is possible.  The shed and run are both against a connecting brick wall so there are potentially only 3 'dig' vulnerable sides.

Thanks again for advice.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 22:39 »
no worries mate here to help

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
roof on run or not?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 21:30 »
question: is it advisable (or not) to cover the whole length of the run with some transparent polycarb, to give the birds light but stop it getting muddy inderfoot?  A friend of mine claims I should just net it, but my uncle (who has fowl) said it would be a good idea.  Any suggestions, Muntjac?

Thanks again.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 21:36 »
I'd like to put some sort of covering over part of the chooks run to help keep it a bit dry.  When we lived in Essex, our friends who are freerange chicken farmers, have verandahs down the sides of the houses with slatted floors so it helps, but only when the house sheilds it from the rain.  I think bigger commercial houses have a side on the verandah as well, and the chooks can walk in and out each end as they please.

Knowing our lot, they'll still be outside in the wet!!! Soggy little whatsits!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 00:24 »
i think both are right mate,  a sheltered roof is a good idea as it keeps the rain off from above if you dont want your birds getting muddy ,i dont have coverings on mine except for the chick pens i just put a piece of tarp over if rains forcast or its very hot sunshine to shield the babies you decide what you want to do ,they are your birds mate just dont make it covered all round as it will then be a greenhouse . :wink:

xx
allotment chickens

Started by snow white on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 15:59
by RigsVilleBird
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by debs1963 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 12:04
by Sassy
xx
Allotment for chickens

Started by eddy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 21:34
by SnooziSuzi
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by snow white on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 23:46
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 38 queries.