New Plot Advice Please

• 7 Replies

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
New Plot Advice Please
« on: October 15, 2008, 15:52 »
Hello all Im new to the site and hope you can help!!!

Ive taken on an allotment and even though it was 5 feet high with grass and weeds I am making some progress.  All the growth is down to ground level and I have started to deep dig the ground leaving roots exposed to the weather.

Now my question is as this plot has been unused for 5 years will I need to put any manure/fertiliser in it or should the ground be fine as is for spring?

Cheers

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 16:27 »
Firstly welcome to the forums, perhaps you'd like to pop along to the "Welcome" forum & tell us a bit about yourself.

When I took my plot on it also had stood fallow for 5 years. I concentrated on clearing it. The crops the next year were better than those who had been continually growing & manuring for years.

I'd concentrate on getting it clear rather than bite off more than you can chew & then start manuring the next year.

No doubt others will tell you differently!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 16:58 »
mine had been fallow for 2/3 years and i'd reiterate what was said.. I just fed my crops as I went and prepared a bean trench but that's all. And my crops have been no better or worse than my close neighbours
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

DIGGER

New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 17:03 »
Not sure if this is an answer or a question,but i suppose if a plot has not been used for 5 years it has not had the nutrients taken out of it.
Does that sound right

peapod

• Pea Goddess
New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 17:06 »
Ditto the above

My plot was fallow for 5 years too, and the soil is in great condition. Ive only manured where my spuds are going next year to be on the safe side, but everything has grown really well this year (the stuff thats survived anyway!)

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Gwiz

New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 18:05 »
Get something in the ground as soon as you can. It'll give you the incentive to carry on thoughout the winter!
Don't worry too much about manuring at the moment, you can always do that in future years!
welcome, by the way. :)

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 20:00 »
Thanks everyone they were quick replies!!  

Now what could be put into the ground this time of year??  Aparently the plots are prone to water logging over the winter so could anything survive that?

You peebs are going to get fed up of all of my questions soon because ive got about a hundred lined up :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Right im off to the welcome page :D

woodburner

New Plot Advice Please
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 21:39 »
Some onions go in now. I think shallots and overwintering Japanese onions but not 100% sure especially as I've had no luck buying any. Garlic too.

Bush fruit can go in now. Which reminds me I need to order some raspberries and blackcurrants.  :wink:  Soon be time for rhubarb too.

There are some overwintering green manures too. Vetch, grazing rye, field beans, and I think red clover can still go in if mixed with rye. I'm trying field beans as I don't want to dig, and the others have to be dug in AFAICT.

Making raised or lazy beds will help against the water logging, as will your double digging. My first lottie, had a waterloged corner despite my digging. I realised this was because the compacted path was acting as a dam, so I dug a trench across the path and laid sticks and dead brambles in the bottom, refilled and replaced the turf. Problem solved!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
New plot advice

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 06:35
by Suziet8
xx
Plot advice please!

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 02:27
by Vit

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 38 queries.