Is it to late to make Rhubarb wine?

• 11 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Is it to late to make Rhubarb wine?
« on: June 04, 2015, 16:48 »
Everything I have read says May is a week into June really going to be an issue?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Is it to late to make Rhubarb wine?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 16:54 »
It's never too late for wine!  ;) ;)

I've never seen a wine recipe that gives you a time to make wine.  I know they say that rhubarb shouldn't be picked after May, but I think it is just because that's when its sweetest.

I make rhubarb wine any time of the year, but that's because mine is in the freezer.  You may find it is a bit dry perhaps, but you can sort that out with a bit of extra sweetening surely?

Go for it!    :D :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 17:07 »
Mine's in the freezer too.  :)  Really helps to extract the juice and I can save up the stalks to make a bigger batch.

Do you use Campden tablets when yours has finished fermenting Grannie?  Not sure how many to use.... ::)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 17:25 »
Thanks guys. Everything I have read talks about it jellyfying (almost certainly spelt wrong) or something similar? Still I think I will just go for it or the rhubarb will be wasted. Now the question is how much do I make seeing as it will be a year before I can make more and it takes so long to mature?  :D

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 21:01 »
Could be talking about the 'jelly like' stuff you can get on rhubarb - never realised it might be due to time of the season.
My rhubarb used for my last batch last year had this stuff on - I just cut out the 'infected' bits and chuckked it in - was the best wine that I've done so far... (think 'twas about Sept. that I harvested)
There's a lot of variables when it comes to success/failure for wine and beer making - rarlely will everything be optimum - but I'm finding that with increased experience my success rates are going up. (That's put the kabosh on me for 2015)  ;)

Hic hic,
Balders

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 18:11 »
If its jellyfiying it could have too much pectin which is needed in jam making, use pectolase at one tea spoon per gallon, pectin haze is practically impossible to sort once its in the wine, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 21:09 »
Mine's in the freezer too.  :)  Really helps to extract the juice and I can save up the stalks to make a bigger batch.

Do you use Campden tablets when yours has finished fermenting Grannie?  Not sure how many to use.... ::)

I don't use campden tablets at the end Mogsy, I read somewhere years ago that it isn't necessary, and can give the wine an odd taste.  And I sterilize my demi john's with milton, what's good for babies bottles is good enough for my DJ's!!   ;) ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 14:58 »
I don't use campden tablets at the end Mogsy, I read somewhere years ago that it isn't necessary, and can give the wine an odd taste.  And I sterilize my demi john's with milton, what's good for babies bottles is good enough for my DJ's!!   ;) ;)

Thank you so much!  :)  I was reluctant to use them, as the last time they bleached a lot of the beautiful pink colour out.  Makes you wonder what they did before they were invented eh?   :D :lol:

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 17:19 »
If you think about it - humans have been producing wine and beer for eons - long before sterilisation was understood. I do use milton tablets at the start then leave it to nature - usually works out fine. Some people don't bother with sterilisation they just keep things clean. Guess you'll soon know if things have turned.
(No faff brewer)  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 18:24 »
If you think about it - humans have been producing wine and beer for eons - long before sterilisation was understood. I do use milton tablets at the start then leave it to nature - usually works out fine. Some people don't bother with sterilisation they just keep things clean. Guess you'll soon know if things have turned.
(No faff brewer)  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Absolutely Baldy!  :D

Having said that, I just remembered that I'd like to add a little sweetness  ::), so it's either the dreaded tablets or some Splenda....  Anyone have any thoughts?  :)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 09:42 »
I tend to like dry wines - so haven't any experience with adding sweetness - though I've heard that splenda works well though you might need to stabalise the wine also...
http://www.eckraus.com/blog/is-splenda-splendid-for-sweetening-wine

Hic hic,
Balders

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 10:17 »
I tend to like dry wines - so haven't any experience with adding sweetness - though I've heard that splenda works well though you might need to stabalise the wine also...
http://www.eckraus.com/blog/is-splenda-splendid-for-sweetening-wine

Hic hic,
Balders
Very useful Baldy, thank you.  :)

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Can i make wine from this?

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 16:37
by adodman
xx
How easy is it to make wine?

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:29
by Growster...
xx
Can you make wine with Raspberries?

Started by Teen76 on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 19:47
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.