average life span of ex battery hen

• 10 Replies

taz4711

average life span of ex battery hen
« on: August 23, 2009, 19:03 »
hi. Just registered. Brill site. Have had a few ex battery hens in the past. A lot of them have died approx 3 years old. Mabel, my last one, died a month ago and she was about 5 and a half. Just took on 3 ex battery hens yesterday....it's fab (and quite sad) seeing them experience everything for the 1st time...interested in a fly, intrigued by a butterfly and very scared of a dove! I just wondered what was the average life span folk had experienced with ex battery hens they had taken on?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: average life span of ex battery hen
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 21:26 »
Can be anything from hours of getting them home to many years.  Our oldest was about 8yrs old but I do think that was a very rare exception indeed.  Others usually lived on for 3-5 years after we had them.  But most died around 3-4 years.  Its like how long is a piece of string!  As long as they have had a good happy life with you then any day let alone year is a bonus.  The fact they have been able to express themselves as chickens is wonderful.
mrs.ploppy

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:46 »
We've had our 8 ex batts just 3 weeks, and hoping for many happy years to come.

From what I've been told, does seem to vary.  Someone told me 2 years (on top of time in battery cage),  local gamekeeper (v knowledgeable about birds), said she'd had hers about 8 years.

But do know someone who took in 3 and lost 2 within a month.

taz4711

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 17:22 »
Thanks for that. When I asked someone a while ago how long hens live I was told 'as long as they are allowed to'.....nice thought but doesn't seem to be the case  :)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 19:03 »
i really do applaud you and anyone who takes on ex batts . just the though of giving them a good end to there life however long that may be must be very rewarding . I wanted to get my knowledge and experience levels up abit until i feel brave enough to take them on .  Good om you for taking them on :D

smileysal

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:45 »
i really do applaud you and anyone who takes on ex batts . just the though of giving them a good end to there life however long that may be must be very rewarding . I wanted to get my knowledge and experience levels up abit until i feel brave enough to take them on .  Good om you for taking them on :D
Craig, just go for it, our first 4 were ex bats and we had no experience at all! They're all fit and well and one has been broody and is now Mum to 6 chicks, how cool is that? From hell to heaven in 8 short months!!!  :D

iwantanallotment

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20 »
They're all fit and well and one has been broody and is now Mum to 6 chicks, how cool is that? From hell to heaven in 8 short months!!!  :D

That's really lovely Sal, what a happy little hen she must be. Well done  :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22 »
We're collecting our first chickens, ex-batts, on Monday ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

taz4711

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 20:54 »
Ex batts are sooooo rewarding. The 1st day they are outside is just brill to watch.....and I recorded them this time cos the way they react to everything is something I could watch again and again and again  :)

babs

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 23:01 »
Hi I'm getting my girls next month. (waiting for the slaughter date). I have bought a coop off the internet which says will house 5/6 hens.It's approx 1meter square plus nesting box. I want six but it looks too small. The run is 1meter by 2 1/2 meters but they will have the run of the garden during the day. Do you think 6 will be too many in the coop part. It will probably feel like a mansion to them after what they've had. I can't wait to get them. 

taz4711

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:07 »
Hi Babs. I'm not very good with knowing about how much space re: each hen etc but I'm sure there are plenty of folk around here who could answer your question. How exciting!  :)

xx
Is there an average lay?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 23:39
by spizanne
xx
average chicken weight

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 20:05
by chuckmum
xx
A bit bigger than your average chicken.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 21:22
by Bodger
xx
Average price of Cream legbar

Started by Beano on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:31
by laxeylady

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.