Moregettes, Green Tomato overload, and what next :)

• 6 Replies

fatgit

« on: August 30, 2006, 17:03 »
Firstly, my courgettes are STILL producing more!
I only have 3 plants, but they've grown like wildfire, and I've already had about 20lb of courgettes off them, how much longer will they go on for, and what do I do when they stop - leave them in or pull them out ?
As a total newbie, I have no idea yet, and haven't got round books due to other things :)

Just like the courgettes, the tomato plants seem to want to be tree's, despite cutting back etc, and I have more green tomatoes than I could count.
I've taken a load off wrapped them in paper, as a friend said they would ripen, but after well over a week, they're still as green as my gardening abilities, and so are the dozens still on the plants :)
I believe they're Moneymaker variety (wife decided to clean up about a week after I bought all the seeds & started some germinating, and threw the lot away), so does anyone have any ideas on the best way to ripen them ?
I'm not too keen on green tomato chutney etc :)

Lastly, the courgettes, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers are all in 2 raised beds, so will I be OK to grow some of the winter suggestions in there, after these plants finish ? I don't know anything about rotation or resting yet, so I'm flying a bit blind :)

The main patch isn't having anything planted after the beetroot & fennel are ready, as there are some bushes that need clearing to give some more light, and the only access is over the patch, plus, I intend on converting it to raised beds - they're so much easier to work with :)

Appreciate any ideas :)
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 17:32 »
leave the tomatos on the plant for now there is still time for them to ripen naturally. Make sure there is not too many leaves on the plant (although dont take them all away)
They will ripen happily for about another month yet.
As they ripen take them off the plant as they are just turning red and then let them ripen in a bowl in the kitchen. A ripe banana placed in the bowl with the unripe tomatos hastens ripening.
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

milkman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 18:41 »
If/when you get a decent frost this will zap your courgette plants for you without any efforts on your part, although if you've got to the stage where you are counting courgettes in your dreams there's nothing to stop you pulling up your plants now and composting them.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

fatgit

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 21:30 »
Thanks for the tip on ripening the toms, I was getting a bit worried, as everyone keeps going past saying "aren't they ripe yet??" :)

I'm the type of person that will never have "too much" fresh fruit & veg from the garden, so as long as the courgettes keep coming, I'll keep finding homes for them, or find more freezer space :)
So far, there's been Courgette stir fry, Courgette mousakka, Courgette Chutney, Baked Courgette and Courgette Bhaji's, and an Indian neighbour is making some Courgette Chutney tomorrow (although until I delivered ~3lb of courgettes to her door, she had never touched one before)

Oh, also took off the first 1/4lb of runner beans, I thought they were never going to do anything, but have gone from a few flowers, to 8 inch long beans in just over a week, so I'm sure I can think of something with courgettes and runner beans......

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 16:27 »
How about letting the courgettes grow into marrows for Marrow & Ginger jam?  I've let a couple grow specifically for that - we love ginger jam in our house!  And if you don't like it, it would make fab Christmas pressies (along with the runner bean pickle all our friends and family will be getting this year  :lol: )

Mel

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 21:42 »
i also have a lot(around 60 ) of beef tomatos which are slowly ripening,a bit too slow for our needs so ive popped a few of the most ripe into a lidded cardboard box along with a red tom

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 22:58 »
I just stand my slightly ripe toms on the kitchen windowsill, theye don't take long to turn in the sunshine.

I've got loads of tomatoes coming along.  They may not all ripen, but now I have a 'new' (2nd hand off Ebay) freezer, perhaps I'll get the green tomato chutney and pickles done this year!!!!!

xx
strawberry overload

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 13:20
by gobs
xx
Cucumber overload

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 10:00
by DD.
xx
Best way to start 30ft x 20ft / 9m x 6m plot with weed overload?

Started by Chef_uk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 09:44
by Yorkie
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 37 queries.