Crop rotations, manure and compost

• 11 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« on: August 29, 2006, 15:14 »
Hiya,

I've got myself a bit confused (first year and all that), so wondered if you guys can help....

I've set my plot up with nine beds divided into three groups - legumes, brassicas and roots, just like my book says  :lol:   HOWEVER...  It also says to do things like adding compost, manure, lime etc in the autumn ready for the relevant crop to go in - but what do I do with the carrots, parsnips, sprouting broc, chard, beet, leeks etc that stay in the ground at this time?

Also, I can't get hold of any "well rotted" manure - I've got a ton or so rotting down from this year, so that should be OK for next autumn, and the compost bin is only just beginning to fill up with green waste from this year's harvest.  So what can I use?  This is the first year the ground has been used for growing - it has had pigs and chickens on it in the past, so I'm quite tempted to just leave it just for this year and sprinkle chicken poo pellets regularly - would this work?

Any thoughts?

Melanie

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:23 »
These books - counsels of perfection!

I'd rather use half-rotted than no manure,  chicken pellets are good but fish, blood & bone is more balanced.

Not too late to sow a green manure crop either,
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ytyynycefn

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:28 »
Thanks - how long should I leave the manure at a minimum?  It's really very fresh.  Are the mushrooms growing on it edible?

Mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:44 »
Well I'd spread it on at the end of the year and mix it in with the soil, unless there's loads you should be fine next year to plant in.  Others may differ - LOL

Mushrooms - oh boy. General rule, if you do not KNOW don't.  It's not where they are growing, it's what type they are. Hate to see you poisoned.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:14 »
Green manure crop

Whats this then? As my veg plot is really under nurished and was looking to dig a pile of horse muck into it late september.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:49 »
I’ve just started digging in pretty fresh Horse Manure, this will hopefully rot down over winter. I have been told that Horse Manure does not need to be well rotted down as it doesn’t burn the plant roots, is this true??
Paul

ang

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 18:06 »
I read well rotted manure should be used as doesn't burn the roots and if weeds were growing in the manure it wasn't well rotted enough.  Everything is so confusing when you're beginning you never know what to do for the best. Luckily we have a farmer who dumps his manure when he feels like it but it does seem like fresh manure. As this is our first year it will be dug in in the autumn or left on the surface (haven't decided yet) and we'll just have to wait and see what happens next year

ytyynycefn

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 18:59 »
I think I'll slap manure on where there is space, and cover with black plastic to let it rot down over the winter - apparently this can work in a no-dig bed (like the sound of no digging  :lol: )

Have I got this right?  Manure before legumes and spuds, compost before brassicas and some lime before roots if it's a bit acid?  Or what??????

Mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 22:42 »
Why bother with the plastic? Let the rain and freeze break up the soil, the worms will pull down and rotovate in the spring.

ytyynycefn

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:51 »
I thought the plastic would warm things up a bit?  And stop weeds and cat dodo  :lol: I did think I might plant stuff through holes in the plastic, or does this not work very well in the real world?

Mel

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 14:29 »
Plastic will suppress weeds and stop cats doing their business but it stops water getting through so you need to think how you will get water under it.

I'm against covering large areas with plastic anyway - hardly seems natural to me but that's another subject .

shaun

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 15:32 »
i agree with john plastic will only kill certain weeds the like of couch grass,docks and thistle it just goes dormant and the minute you remove the plastic hey presto it bursts into life again,all the plastic does is hide the problem.
if your not going to grow on the area until next year your best breaking up the soil with a fork and spreading the muck all over it this month or next (fresh or rotted) and dig it in next spring.you need well rotted muck when you plant your spuds or to mulch around fruit and young plants.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
How to deal with Green Manure crop

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2014, 14:16
by argonaut
xx
Quick green manure crop?

Started by dumpling on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:50
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Home made compost. Crop Rotation

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 22:13
by Kajazy
xx
Manure/compost

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:23
by hightide

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.