Wolf interchangable tools and handles

• 9 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« on: July 13, 2006, 20:20 »
Does anyone use these? I'm tempted by them but I don't like the idea of a pushbutton on a handle.. and the heads seem to rattle around a lot if I remember correctly from seeing them at hampton court flower show in past years. Are they really up to pulling through concrete-like dried clay soil without coming off the handle?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 22:13 »
I don't know exactly the tool you are talking about but I had an electric drill made by wolf. It had been my Grandads. It was built to last. If its the same firm I think it is worth the gamble.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 22:21 »
I think John has some Wolf stuff.  I'd like some, but can't afford it.  Perhaps I'll win a competition one day????

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:02 »
wolf make some very good tools. the snap fit system is great. i dont know why, but i started buying the gardena tools which is much the same only with a screw down fixing rather than a push button.

Heather_S

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:28 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
wolf make some very good tools. the snap fit system is great. i dont know why, but i started buying the gardena tools which is much the same only with a screw down fixing rather than a push button.

That's what I'd prefer. I've not heard of the gardena tools; I'll check them out. Thanks :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:58 »
I use Wolf hand tools - although you can remove the handle so only needing one handle, it was too much trouble so I have a permanent handle on each.

Apart from the hand hoe with fork tines on the other side, I don't think they were really worth it. I don't find the handles that comfortable and the trowel isn't quite the right shape for me.

My tip with trowels - see if you can try them - even on light compost - first and then imagine using them in heavy soil before buying.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:51 »
We were looking at the wolf tools for use on long handles, not short handles... We want something tough that will crack open the chunks of clay soil... like one of those sort of two-sided hoes with the two or three large tines on one side and a sort of draw hoe on the otherside... but something wider than that would be good too. I think I draw hoe would probably work well in any case but I kind of like the idea of just having to change the heads on a tool...but only if it works.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 13:07 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
We were looking at the wolf tools for use on long handles, not short handles... We want something tough that will crack open the chunks of clay soil... like one of those sort of two-sided hoes with the two or three large tines on one side and a sort of draw hoe on the otherside... but something wider than that would be good too. I think I draw hoe would probably work well in any case but I kind of like the idea of just having to change the heads on a tool...but only if it works.

That's the thing I was trying to describe!
I have it with a short handle though. In year one I broke up a lot of the clods by hand - harder work than digging over but now I get out the Merry Tiller. That really makes the work easier but clay soils are hard work whatever you do.

yewtreemob

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 18:01 »
heather, I use the wolf tools with interchangeable heads - and yes I have the large threee tined rotavator wit a long handle.  Don't use it much now as |i'm gardening on deep loam but In West London on heavy (aka rock hard) clay it worked fine but it is back breaking work.  When u pull the tool it dips under the surface and really bites the soil (and drags weeds out well).

Unlike John I love the interchangeable handles - all the tools hang on hooks in the garage and take up a lot less space.  The push fit handle has never come apart rom the tool in over 10 years of use.

I agree with John about the hand tools though.  A good trowel is difficult to find - I use the bronze Castor trowel from www.implementations.co.uk - these are different again - world class tools but only somebody with sunstroke would pay £20 for a trowel!  I must have been very hot - I also bought their sirius hoe - not heavyweight enough for clay though.

Oliver

wolf tools
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 16:28 »
Quote from: "yewtreemob"
heather, I use the wolf tools with interchangeable heads - and yes I have the large threee tined rotavator wit a long handle.  Don't use it much now as  ... and .....  tools from www.implementations.co.uk. ...  only somebody with sunstroke would pay £20 for a trowel ....

She uses wolf tools specially a hoe and a rake. Very nice. also gets persents from friends to fit the handle. Its never come apart in her hand, your honour.

Looked at the implementations site -  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: a tool that deters slugs and snails! That made me laugh ... sometimes I think the people who dream up this sales puff think we are really DIM  :lol:
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Wolf tools

Started by Snowboar on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 26, 2020, 09:00
by Aidy
xx
Wolf Garten tools.....

Started by toto691 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 06:13
by Gwiz
xx
wolf garden tools

Started by chili on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 12:54
by goodegg
xx
Wolf Garten tools

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 20:13
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 38 queries.