Basil Oil

• 5 Replies

mumsflowerpot

Basil Oil
« on: September 01, 2007, 19:54 »
Has anyone made any basil oil - I have lots of basil to use and thought it may be a nice alternative to pesto to make a drizzling oil.

Internet recipes seem to suggest 2 cups basil to one of oil simmered briefly for 45 seconds - i'm surprised about the cooking though and concerned I might be making essential oil rather than edible!

Can anyone help?

PS  Grannieannie, if you are online..when you made the chilli oil did you do anything to the chillis first before putting them in the oil?

Thanks,
Chris.
 :roll:

muntjac

Basil Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 19:58 »
i got given some basil plants from aggy pants and mannnnnnnnnn they are real triffids i put the leaves in the freezer untouched and then use em in soupls blogenese etc ,in oil i dont cook em afore  :wink:
still alive /............

muntjac

Basil Oil
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 20:06 »
oh and i microwave dried some as advised by aggypants ,2 mins in 30 sec bursts on high on a dish  :wink:

mumsflowerpot

Basil Oil
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 20:17 »
Thanks for that Muntjac, I did have my doubts about cooking it first.

Don't have a microwave, but made some fab sundried tomatoes in the oven the other day - cut in half and on a wire rack sprinkled with salt and herbs & in the oven at 100c with the oven door slightly open for five hours.

mushroom

Re: Basil Oil
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 00:42 »
Quote from: "mumsflowerpot"
Has anyone made any basil oil - I have lots of basil to use and thought it may be a nice alternative to pesto to make a drizzling oil.

From what i've read, it's made by just steeping the leaves/storing in oil, after washing gently and allowing to dry. Haven't heard of it being made by cooking, microwave or otherwise. Apparently the leaves are pressed flat in the jar. I doubt it would keep very long though.

WG.

Basil Oil
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 07:34 »
Quote from: "http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe7.htm#Herb-Infused%20Oil"
The technique for making infused oil is much the same whether the ingredient is basil, rosemary, oregano, garlic, chiles, mushrooms or citrus fruit. For every cup of olive oil, use two tightly packed cups of basil or any other soft-leaved green herb--chervil, chives, cilantro, mint. (Tarragon does not work well except early in the spring when it is very sweet, he writes. Otherwise it tends to taste bitter when infused.) Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the herbs, making sure that the leaves are submerged, and blanch for five seconds. Drain into a strainer and immediately plunge the herbs into a bowl of ice water. Drain well and squeeze out all liquid. Puree in a blender with olive oil. Strain puree immediately through a fine-mesh strainer. Strain again through four layers of cheesecloth. Put in a sterilized glass bottle, cover tightly and refrigerate. For optimum flavor, use within a week.
Sounds helluva complicated to me ... ...

Another website had ... "Purée basil with oil in a blender or food processor. Cook the puree over low heat for about five minutes -- you don't want to cook the oil, you're just allowing the heat to release the basil's flavors. Strain the oil into a clean jar. The oil will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks."

xx
drying and storing basil

Started by Li on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 23:37
by Li
xx
Tomatoe and basil sauce

Started by Mash Mad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 22:59
by Trillium

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.