What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2018, 23:32 »
Quick trip to take veg peelings turned into a couple of hours weeding the front flower border but boy was it worth it, looks loved again.
From this to this

So jealous of your soil...

snowdrops

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2018, 23:35 »
Quick trip to take veg peelings turned into a couple of hours weeding the front flower border but boy was it worth it, looks loved again.
From this to this

So jealous of your soil...

Thank you but on the plot it’s not very deep,perhaps a spades depth & both plots have mares tail!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 17:33 »
Well a Busy day for me in the sunshine plots all raked over again  , built up two cloches to warm the ground up for the early potatoes , And I put a row of traditional pea sticks in cut from a couple of hazels planted a few years ago even wove in some .  Reminded me of that Wonderful Program The Victorian Kitchen garden . 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2018, 16:53 »
I worked for 6 hours and I'm worn out now, going to have a bath and a nap! Loads of weeding, hoeing, planted strawberry plants I was given at Christmas and put a cloche over them, pulled out kale as it has been completely trashed by birds ( note to self for this year, keep them covered all winter), put membrane over raised beds and enviromesh on shallots/onions, planted Jerusalem artichokes in container. Made small raised bed, not sure what I am going to plant in it yet.

Silva

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2018, 17:06 »
Put in my small broadbean plants and sowed some spring onions, over which we built a water pipe cloche with fleece covering- no idea if it will survive the first gust of wind! Shallots keep getting pulled out and don't seem to be rooting in very well, but I bunged a couple extra in anyway! A bit more of the grass got cleared today as well.

Eblana

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2018, 17:54 »
I was supposed to go to the plot this morning but couldn't because flowers were being delivered for me for mothers day and they didn't arrive until nearly 2 p.m. and as there was no one else here in the house I had to wait for them.  I spent an hour in the garden this afternoon instead and also spent an hour in the greenhouse sowing seeds.  I have made my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow so I will be up bright and early and gone to the plot and will get as much done as possible because the forecast for the rest of the week isn't great.

snowdrops

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2018, 19:20 »
Not at the plot but in the greenhouse at home sowed 3 lots of broad beans in root trainers,2 lots of leeks in deep litter trays & 2 large pots of radishes. Gave them all a sprinkle of water & left to drain, then brought them in to the unheated conservatory,a bit more for hubby to look after whilst I’m away,gulp, wish me luck

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17 »
gulp, wish me luck

Good luck Snowdrops - he may surprise you  :)

This was yesterday at home, but started with some sowings in the greenhouse - bunching onions, beetroot, leafy greens and some peas, plus a couple of types of perennial flower seeds, which were brought back indoors.

The onions are growing and the spuds are starting to chit, so I was feeling optimistic  ;)  :lol:

Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Eblana

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 18:00 »
I spent 4 hours at the plot.  The veg beds were too wet to do anything with so I spent the time weeding the permanent beds which weren't quite as wet.  I am hoping to get up for another 4 hours tomorrow and will hopefully get the permanent beds at the back of plot 1 finished off.  I want to bring the loppers with me so that I can finish pruning the fruit bushes.  With any luck I will get the fruit all pruned, fed and mulched as well.

I dug up the leeks that were still in the bed that I want to change to a pea bed.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2018, 19:45 »
A plot visit at last  :D  I got 4 hours in today with just me, the robin dancing around from time to time and a fleeting visit from one of the cats from the neighbouring houses, who came to say Hi and get stoked for a while.

Pruned all the fruit on the bottom half of the small plot, weeded the lot and mulched,  The black stuff is compost from a big bin and the yellow stuff is wood chip from the chicken coops.  The latter is layered over older rotted layers each year as a top up.

Planted Sennan cabbage in with the gooseberries as they needed to go out.  These were sown last year and overwintered in pots outside. 
IMG_2469.JPG

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2018, 22:45 »
Funny you mentioned the cat New Shoot! Arrived at the plot to find a new cat friend basking in the 25c temps of the polytunnel, demanded plenty of fuss but refused to be photographed  :nowink:

Dropped off the chilli plants that germinated much quicker than I expected and finally got round to sowing some modules, happy days are here!
Perpetual spinach, Bright Light chard, Early cabbages, Caulis, Celeriac and Brussells all sown. Fleece at the ready for the weekend if needed.
S5000348.JPG

Eblana

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2018, 23:46 »
Managed to get another 5 hours up at the plot today and despite it being very wet still I managed to get a lot done.  I got all the fruit beds weeded, pruned, fed and mulched and also the apple tree bed and the comfrey bed.  I got the new flower bed at the front of the polytunnel cleared and filled up ready to plant the roses in.  I got the beds in the PT weeded, fed and watered.  Moved the Chrysanthemums from the greenhouse at home to to PT.  All the blackberries at the back of the plot are now tied into their wires.  The gravel area at the front of the plot is cleared of weeds and tidied up.  Oh and I got half the bed down the side of the PT cleared out and ready for filling up, I think I will plant pollinating flowers for the bees and butterflies in it when it is ready.

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12 »
Managed to get another 5 hours up at the plot today and despite it being very wet still I managed to get a lot done.  I got all the fruit beds weeded, pruned, fed and mulched and also the apple tree bed and the comfrey bed.  I got the new flower bed at the front of the polytunnel cleared and filled up ready to plant the roses in.  I got the beds in the PT weeded, fed and watered.  Moved the Chrysanthemums from the greenhouse at home to to PT.  All the blackberries at the back of the plot are now tied into their wires.  The gravel area at the front of the plot is cleared of weeds and tidied up.  Oh and I got half the bed down the side of the PT cleared out and ready for filling up, I think I will plant pollinating flowers for the bees and butterflies in it when it is ready.

My word you must have been going like a steam train😊, love days like that

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 19:29 »
yesterday was my first time down the plot since late autumn :ohmy:..i was dreading it, but not too bad TBH! :D

i did remember doing a lot of clearing and weeding at the end of the season and it obviously paid off. 

i managed to weed all of my beds (took about 5 hours), but oh my....what a difference!  my paths need a major trim when it is drier, but all in all, pretty tidy, ready for business when it gets a bid drier/warmer. :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2018, 20:17 »
A couple of hours spreading compost and digging it in today. 

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 55 queries.