Gasping Chick 7wks - Tylan?

• 25 Replies

iwantanallotment

Re: Gasping Chick 7wks - Tylan?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 21:41 »
Thank you all.  I wish I'd been brave and had her PTS at the vets though, but was hoping for a miracle cure.....or had the courage to cull her and put her out of her misery.
Just can't do it, and am sat here disgusted with myself for being a selfish coward and leaving her to die slowly  :(

She's in a warm, darkened room with her sister - I don't want her to be alone but can't bear to watch her suffering. I can't do anything to help. Keep checking in, but she's just lying there, barely breathing.
Dashed to Asda for honey to make honey water to syringe into her, but in my panic left it on the counter. So instead she's had warm sugar water. Just to quench her thirst.

Sister been dosed with Baytril - found a big bogey on one of her nostrils too so that looks ominous, expecting the worst. Dreading how she'll cope without her sister, she's been worrying and fussing around her all afternoon and is now firmly cuddled up to her.

Never, ever am I having hens under 16 weeks of age again, this has been devastating.
Those of you who rear from hatching, I respect you enormously! 6 week olds have been a nightmare for me, and I couldn't even keep them alive for a week  :(

Orego-Stim and Life Guard - I'll look into that for the future...sounds a bit like Rescue Remedy for poultry?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 21:53 »
Thank you all.  I wish I'd been brave and had her PTS at the vets though, but was hoping for a miracle cure.....or had the courage to cull her and put her out of her misery.
Just can't do it, and am sat here disgusted with myself for being a selfish coward and leaving her to die slowly  :(

She's in a warm, darkened room with her sister - I don't want her to be alone but can't bear to watch her suffering. I can't do anything to help. Keep checking in, but she's just lying there, barely breathing.
Dashed to Asda for honey to make honey water to syringe into her, but in my panic left it on the counter. So instead she's had warm sugar water. Just to quench her thirst.

Sister been dosed with Baytril - found a big bogey on one of her nostrils too so that looks ominous, expecting the worst. Dreading how she'll cope without her sister, she's been worrying and fussing around her all afternoon and is now firmly cuddled up to her.

Never, ever am I having hens under 16 weeks of age again, this has been devastating.
Those of you who rear from hatching, I respect you enormously! 6 week olds have been a nightmare for me, and I couldn't even keep them alive for a week  :(

Orego-Stim and Life Guard - I'll look into that for the future...sounds a bit like Rescue Remedy for poultry?

will be thinking of you!  :(  i too couldnt put them out of their misery! the first died in the night and the 2nd went to the vets to be put to sleep! it is nothing you have done! just the stress of being away from mum! the weather not knowing what its doing and all those new things to challenge the little ones already lowered immune system! stress is the biggest cause of poultry sucumbing to deseases that they would otherwise shrug off and strengthen the immune system!.

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 21:53 »
I'm so sorry, but you aren't leaving her to die slowly, you're giving her a chance to recover and sadly if she doesn't you've tried, not everybody would. :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

too many girls

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 01:19 »
i think your giving her a chance too, sometimes we have no way of knowing whether a sick chick or hen is going to survive, i know when Raffles was at her worst i did wonder if it would be best to put her down, she lay on my bed on her side, she couldn't walk as she overbalanced, her head was on back to front and she just lay there watching me, she looked so vulnerable :( i gave her the chance and the time she needed to recover (she went to the vets twice) she's now 100% recovered and whizzing round my bedroom, she snoozes with the cats and i'm so glad i didn't put her down, you've done everything you can so don't think you haven't done the right thing, i hope your poorly chick defies the odds and pulls through, miracles happen sometimes :)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 07:19 »
Any news this morning?

iwantanallotment

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 11:38 »
She died in the night, poor baby  :(

Now all eyes are on the last one. A week ago she had a Mum and two sisters, now she's all by herself.

Is it just me thinking this, or is there a lot of poultry sickness right now?

poppie

• Experienced Member
  • my little princess
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 11:46 »
very sorry to hear your sad news,i'm afraid that it is not just you my love.
there does seem to be an awful lot of things going around one way or another,the only thing we can all do is our best for the chooks.
please don't let it put you off.if your passing this way in 7-8 weeks i've got some lovely sussex x that are 7 weeks at the moment.you would be most welcome to a couple.
its nice to be nice

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 11:47 »
Oh dear, i'm so sorry. I have everything crossed for the other one. There does seem to be a lot of illness around at the moment though.
      Sadly, we all live and learn the hard way. I'm sure the others will put you on to someone good for the next time :)

matilda duck

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 12:37 »
So sorry, you did everything you could,!!!!    nature is so good at dealing us a blow but it makes us stronger and wiser for the next time.

grumpydad

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 20:59 »
there is an awful lot of sickness going about at the moment.
i have been given, Septrin, Paediatric suspension, (not licensed for poultry ) by the vet, for treatment of coccidosis, £10.00 as opposed to £100 for the poultry equivalent.
Life guard is supposed to be a good every day tonic to help a chickens immune system as well.
good luck with the rest

martyn

iwantanallotment

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 21:27 »
Many thanks all of you for your lovely kindness  :)

Grumpydad, I know you've had terrible heartbreaks just lately too. Fingers crossed it's onwards & upwards for you now  ;)

Poppie that's lovely of you! I don't know where Beds is yet without looking, but know I've never been there. Is Luton in Beds? Anyway, if I do happen to be thereabouts I'll certainly let you know, thank you.

The sole survivor is doing well, touchwood, fingers crossed. Has sneezed a couple of times but am hoping the early start on Baytril helps and that it's nothing much. She seems great.
Today we named her, as it was so very sad at the vets yesterday to see "No Name" listed as poorly girl's name.

So here is Orchid today - a pretty name for a pretty girl  :)

me_orchidsml.jpg

xx
Chicken Gasping for Air

Started by HortonDavid on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 15:27
by Pippa P
question
Tylan

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 01:39
by hillfooter
xx
tylan dosage

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 22:32
by jhub
xx
eggs and tylan

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 22:44
by jobson336

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.