Chicken Gasping for Air

• 7 Replies

HortonDavid

Chicken Gasping for Air
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:33 »
Hello all, my name is David from Horton, Bedfordshire (local to the Horton hatchery)

I have two hens and yesterday noticed one was gasping for air very silently. At first I thought she might have something in her throat so had as best of a look as I could but didn't see anything.

I had a Google and found a few entries regarding potential "gape worm". Many have recommended giving her a dose of medicine but I'm not sure what exactly and where to buy it from.

Regards
David Collins

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken Gasping for Air
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42 »
Hi David and welcome to the forum  :)

For gapeworm you need Flubenvet which also treats intestinal worms.  You can buy it as a powder to mix into feed, or as a pre-medicated feed.  I buy the powder online.

Google the product name and see what suits you best.

chasingmytail

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:26 »
there is also a chance of the beginnings of a respiratory condition so keep an eye on them.  Farm shops/countrywide sell flubenvet

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 15:50 »
Still doing it?  Mine do this after a grooming session and they are thirsty.  One drink (when they realise that's what's needed) and it goes away.  Can also do this when they get stressed or hot.

HortonDavid

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 16:37 »
Thank you all for the replies, her breathing condition got worst throughout the day so I took her to the vet where they diagnosed the problem as a heart murmur, come to think of it, the past few months she was sitting down a lot rather than running about with the other hen.

She was put to sleep as he estimated a week or maybe two at most and she didn't look like she was enjoying trying to gasp for breath.

Thanks for the responses, ill try and keep the other hen going for as long as I can, I just feel bad she's a lonely thing now!!

David

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 16:40 »
Sorry to hear your news.  If only chickens could talk and let us know what is wrong with them. Take care.

mrsrobinson

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:55 »
Hi David Horton. This is a bit 'after the event' but I have only just joined this site and noticed your post. One of my hens was gasping for air, she also had quite an upright position and her comb was tinged blue. She also felt 'squishy'(like a balloon with water in it) underneath. I took her to the vet who thought she was in heart failure. She took some of the fluid off the abdomen and gave a diuretic injection with some diuretic tablets to give at home but all to no avail - the hen died 24 hours later quite peacefully. It was good to have the vet look at the hen and I will know for another time, and this may help anyone else if they have a hen with similar symptoms. The hen was a 'saved from slaughter' hen who is more fragile because of the stresses encountered on the poultry farms. All my hens are saved, and they do have lots of problems but some of them do really well and seem very tough. I have learnt a huge amount from having these hens - apart from dispatching I think I have seen/done most things!!

Pippa P

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 15:27 »
I have one (young) hen doing the same. Making little sneezing noises. She's been doing it on and off for a few days. She was terribly ill just before Easter (5 or 6weeks ago) and it went on for a good two weeks, we thought she was going to die - not really sure what it was but seemed to start with an impacted crop - but I nursed her through so don't want to loose her now! She has regained weight and condition and clucks along with the others - even pecked the dog on her nose just now - so she seems okay otherwise. Having read the thread, I'm guessing it's the heat rather than gape worm (first hens, new house, very old croft land untouched for 30 years so not likely to have been picked up) and when she takes a drink it does seem to stop. I'm going to get some nutri-drops or similar to be on the safe side.  Thanks to everyone for sharing here - her ailment fits in many of the symptoms you mention e.g. she was near death(a bit dramatic but not far from truth) so likely to be generally weaker and it's been warm here today (North West Highlands so not always the case in May) .  Hoping your help means she makes a full recovery!

xx
Gasping Chick 7wks - Tylan?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 21:27
by iwantanallotment
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken run

Started by bowler on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 08:54
by Sassy
xx
chicken help

Started by lisawr on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 20:30
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 41 queries.