Another Comfrey Question???

• 25 Replies

Goldfinger

Another Comfrey Question???
« on: March 28, 2010, 19:40 »
Hi all, I've got a small strip of 'wasted' soil along my fence and patio, about 1ft wide X 15ft long,  which is in our north facing garden. I read on here that everyone raves about Comfrey, so I've always wondered what it is and for etc.

We went shopping yesterday and picked up a book called 'Forgotten Skills of Cooking'.
was having a flick through and found a recipe and where/what else you can use Comfrey for. It also said where you can grow it, 'shady areas'.

So, my question is, Can I grow it along my fence, and how....where do I even start??

P.S, Anyone else heard of this book??

Goes on about all sorts, too many to list here.................... ;) ;)

DavidT

Re: Another Comfrey Question???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 19:43 »
First of all, get a root of comfrey ( or buy some seeds ). Second, plant it :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 19:53 »
No-ones got any seeds round here!!!!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sold out??????

Or, some people know something i don't.........YET???!!!!

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 19:55 »
Pay your local garden centre a visit, see if they have any plants. :D

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 20:35 »
Danger Will Robinson. :ohmy:

Do not grow Comfrey from seed. It will produce a plant that will, itself, seed and will spread offspring all over the shop. Grow only a variety called Bocking 14, that you can get only as a root cutting. Bocking 14 has been bred as a sterile plant that does not spread by seed. Google for it and you'll get loads of info.

GilbertJessop

• Habitat Aid's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 21:25 »

Do not grow Comfrey from seed. It will produce a plant that will, itself, seed and will spread offspring all over the shop. Grow only a variety called Bocking 14, that you can get only as a root cutting. Bocking 14 has been bred as a sterile plant that does not spread by seed. Google for it and you'll get loads of info.

Oh no! Comfrey is a great bumblebee plant - don't buy a sterile cultivar! :ohmy:

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 22:40 »

Oh no! Comfrey is a great bumblebee plant - don't buy a sterile cultivar! :ohmy:

Hmmm. I wonder if Bocking 14 produces flowers but not seed. That way the bees will still get the benefit of pollen/nectar (or whatever they get from plants like these) but their normal pollination action has no effect. Does anyone know the answer to that? (I planted Bocking 14 last autumn and they're just starting to appear, so I don't have experience of a full season with them).

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 22:59 »

I grow Bocking 14 Comfrey bought from Garden Organic and confirm that it flowers and pleases the bees. I usually take a cut at this time so it will not go to seed- It has not spread so those flowers that I miss must have produced sterile seeds if they produced any at all.

My plants spread over 3 feet in area when in full leaf. I doubt one foot of space against a fence would be enough.

Hmmm. I wonder if Bocking 14 produces flowers but not seed. That way the bees will still get the benefit of pollen/nectar (or whatever they get from plants like these) but their normal pollination action has no effect. Does anyone know the answer to that? (I planted Bocking 14 last autumn and they're just starting to appear, so I don't have experience of a full season with them).
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 23:06 »
i have the bocking and its full of bees all season, apart from when i cut it of course

peterjf

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 00:15 »
visit your nearest allotment site and ask people, ive got some in hull east yorks , can you collect it

Cazzy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 00:35 »
As far as I know it will do fine in a shaded area but as others have said unless its the bocking 14 variety, it will self seed all over the place and is very difficult to get rid of.

I haven't seen that book but it sounds really interesting, must see if the library has a copy.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

mashauk

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 00:39 »
I don't know what sort it is as we didn't plant it but have comfrey coming up all over the allotment, it really is like a weed to be honest, I actually spotted some coming threw a crack in the greenhouse floor today!  The bees do love it, and we use as much as we can, but it brings me out in a rash if I touch it and I'm constantly having to get it out and the roots are very hard to get out so I'd agree about it self-seeding.  Wouldn't be so bad if you could eat it :)

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19 »
I have Bocking 14 growing happily in the shade of a large hedge, and yes the bees love it when I let it flower.

Goldfinger

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 20:03 »

I haven't seen that book but it sounds really interesting, must see if the library has a copy.

The book I've got, (forgotten skills of cooking), I got it at Costco, that's if anyone has a members card.

I haven't seen it in any other shops.  :( :(  Yet......

xx
comfrey question

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 10:59
by robbodaveuk
xx
Comfrey question

Started by Redgoat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2017, 22:38
by fatbelly
smiley
Comfrey Question

Started by jackief on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 15:31
by jackief
xx
comfrey question

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 10:59
by woodburner

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.