how long can i keep my eggs for?

• 10 Replies

nic n dave

how long can i keep my eggs for?
« on: November 25, 2011, 16:24 »
just wanted to know how long i can keep my eggs for when it gets to 2 weeks old i start to worry that they will be off?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: how long can i keep my eggs for?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 16:45 »
If you keep them in an egg box in the fridge they will keep for months (well nearly).

funkychook

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 16:45 »
just wanted to know how long i can keep my eggs for when it gets to 2 weeks old i start to worry that they will be off?

Eggs can last over a month quite easily. I dont think i have ever thrown an egg out that has been bad yet to be honest and I am 60 lol. I just keep mine in the kitchen in my egg stand. 2 weeks they should not be off. You would soon know if they were lol when you cracked them open.

They do last quite a good while, if you think that the hen sits on eggs with chicks in for 21 days the chicken inside doesnt go off lol... :)

I never put my eggs in the fridge either it isnt necessary. Eggs yummy....hummm think i might have a couple for my tea lol.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 05:31 »
Whether an egg is 'safe' to eat is ENTIRELY dependant on how much bacteria it contains when consumed.   This is a function of how much bacteria it started with, how it has been stored and at what temperature it has been stored and for how long and also the health of the consummer.  Temperature and time are important as bacteria rapidly multiplies at room temperature, so obviously if it starts with a significant amount of bacteria it can rapidly go off.  People with a normal healthy immune system can cope with greater amounts of bacteria than younger children, older people, sick people or those with impaired immune systems.  For this reason these risk groups should only be given fully cooked eggs.

Smelling eggs is not a reliable test though obviously rancid eggs should not be eaten and neither is floating an egg which will only tell you how long it has been laid.  Eggs lose water through evapouration through the pores in their shell over time so eggs which float are simply old.  Also older hens tend to lay more bouyant eggs as the egg's air pocket is usually larger than with a pullet.  Floating tells you nothing directly about it's bacteria load other than older eggs are more suspect than fresh ones.

If you start with a 'normal'  clean egg from a healthy hen and you store it in a hygienic way in a fridge it will ast (as Auntie says) for months though 4 weeks is the notional time usually quoted.  fertile eggs stored at 15degC can remain viable (hatchable) for 14 days though 8 days is usually the practical limit quoted as % hatchability starts to fall of significantly after this.

So the answer is not a clear cut one.  Clean well stored in a fridge eggs last at least 4 weeks and in practise significantly longer.  At room temperature they will last at least two weeks and in practise longer.   

Dirty eggs should not be washed and should be used for cooking only, as soon as possible.  Within a couple of days if kept in a sanitary way to prevent cross contamination in a fridge.  Cracked eggs should be discarded unless you crack them after collection and then you must use them immediately and not store them for more than a couple of hours in a fridge.  This is because you will have no idea how long eggs cracked in the nestbox have been exposed to contamination whereas if you crack it yourself you do.

Storing in a fridge in dry conditions will always extend the life of an egg and ensure it remains freshest longest and is the safest  "official" advice given by food agencies.

HF
Truth through science.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:25 »
So in short your eggs should be fine after a fortnight.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:42 »

Not necessarily but probably if they started in good condition aren't dirty, haven't been stored at high temperature in an unhygienic environment and  you cook them properly and don't feed them to your 85 year old MIL.

As always the devil is in the details.
HF

kegs

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 14:38 »

Not necessarily but probably if they started in good condition aren't dirty, haven't been stored at high temperature in an unhygienic environment and  you cook them properly and don't feed them to your 85 year old MIL.
HF

Unless you don't get on with her in which case do feed them to her !  ;)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 14:49 »

HF

Unless you don't get on with her in which case do feed them to her !  ;)

You're quite right Kegs! I see you are celebrating my return to posting by recycling my old jokes,  However This might be just a temporary return as I had decided after popular opinion to give up posting.

So if there's anyone on here who "I haven't managed to insult I beg their pardon" to quote Brahms but let me know and I'll try to fit you in before i get a grip on my self again. :lol:

HF

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:26 »
I certainly hope that you do not stop posting. Your mix of scientific fact and common sense have been much appreciated by me and I am sure many, many others! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07 »
I agree with Sassy here; don't stop posting, Hillfooter.  You have much to contribute and I have appreciated your posts.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

kegs

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51 »
You're quite right Kegs! I see you are celebrating my return to posting by recycling my old jokes,  However This might be just a temporary return as I had decided after popular opinion to give up posting.
So if there's anyone on here who "I haven't managed to insult I beg their pardon" to quote Brahms but let me know and I'll try to fit you in before i get a grip on my self again. :lol:

HF

Don't you dare stop posting.... you may cut back if you wish while you write that book on poultry I am waiting to buy, but that's all I'll allow!  You've never insulted me and I look forward to reading your posts especially your ascerbic wit, and I always learn something new and interesting.

To quote Brahms "What would become of all historical biography if it was written only with consideration for other peoples' feelings?”  (Probably not a relevant quote but at least you made me look up Brahms - so I learnt something new again!)   ;)

xx
How Long Can You Keep Eggs For

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 00:01
by peter rooster
xx
How long do the eggs last?

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 14:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
How long should a hen be sat on her eggs for?

Started by Rzlty on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 10:02
by agapanthus
xx
How long does it take for a hen to lay eggs?

Started by niceey on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 08:30
by Sassy

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 38 queries.