My hens have just stopped laying

• 10 Replies

Marianne

My hens have just stopped laying
« on: July 17, 2010, 13:57 »
Sorry, im new, didnt realise i had to log in to hen house for questions,
My four hens who are about 8 months old have suddenly stopped laying, i used  to
get 3 - 4 eggs a day, now its good if i get one! i have changed their food, they
have a long run,  this has been happening for about a month ,dont understand, any one got any advice ?
Marianne

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: My hens have just stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 18:40 »
Hi - they could be due to go into a moult, as it around that time of year,  have you noticed more feathers around than usual

Are they looking pale around the face - could be red mite or lice

Are the getting enough grit - might be laying weak shelled eggs and this has started egg eating

Have you got a rat problem - rats eat eggs

Can the magpies or crow get into where they lay  -  They will take any egg they can see

Probably need a bit more info to give any real advice - but that's a bit to be going on with

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Marianne

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 18:31 »
Thanks sue,

there are two things you mentioned that could be causing the lack of eggs,

i have noticed there are a lot of feathers about, (didnt know they layed less eggs when they were moulting!!)

and secondly, yes i have found some residue in the nest, where there probably had eggs with weak shells,

we de-louse the pen regularly, we do have rats occasionally  because we live in the country, but they cannot get in the nest, neither could maggpies or other birds.

thanks for your advice

Marianne

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 21:40 »
Hi Marianne
Sounds pretty much like they might be going into a moult.  Make sure they have good nutrition and maybe some extra vitamins / minerals.  I always make sure they have access to dried seaweed meal.

It can take up to 8 weeks, but if they are hybrids they will probably start laying you eggs again soon. 

Watch out for the weak shelled eggs though, any chicken will eat an egg that is broken, and once one has started they will sometimes begin eating ones that haven't been broken, and it is a habit that can be taught by to others.  If you think you might be getting a problem dummy eggs can help.

Let everyone know what happens, there will be lots of people with similar problems at this time of year.

All the best
Sue

olly_62

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 19:55 »
i i'm new to this site i have the same problem 75% of my hens have stopped laying and i'm pulling my feathers out as to why.
i wonder if i should change their feed  from pellets to mash if that will help.
 please we have had hens for bout 2 years and this is the frist time we have had this problem
can any one help

olly_62

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 22:20 »
What breed are your hens? some hybrids do slow down at around 2 years old, they could be getting ready to moult and moulting takes it out of them. Also check their coups for red mites and check that they aren't laying elsewhere. Are they showing any signs of going broody?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 22:31 »
I would not change the food. Mash is the same as pellets only crushed up and thet get all the vitamins and minerals that they need from the pellets. If you give them treats leave it till late afternoon as they need to fill up on the pellets and not on treats. Treats can make fat girls if fed to much and fat chickens do not lay.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 23:12 »
check they aren't laying elsewhere....I found a new 'nest' behind the compost bin today which explained my missing eggs¬!

olly_62

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 17:20 »
cross breed hens, we also decided to keep them on pellets, and going to build nest boxes for them.

also how do i look for red might and if we got how do i get rid??

taximan

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 17:53 »
mine have been same but its because they are moulting. just starting to get more past few days.

73Westboy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 08:33 »
I doubt 8 month old chickens are moulting! There are certainly unhappy about something.

Try and make sure they are eating layers pellets/mash from morning to afternoon, and only feed scraps much later in the day and mixed corn, even later, i.e. 30 minutes before they go up to roost.

The pellets/mash contains the calcium carbonate that they need for making eggs. Grit is not for making egg shells as one post suggests - grit is for the gizzard where it helps grind food for the chicken to fully digest.

One trick I use to get hens to eat more layers pellet/mash is to add a small quantity of water to make it moist. You should do this around lunchtime. You will then find that your birds will have a "second wind" as it gets a new taste and will eat more of this valuable food.

You should not rule out mite, lice etc, so check with a bright torch at night in the hen house for mite, and inspect birds skin for lice during the day.

Good luck!

xx
My hens have stopped laying!

Started by Apprentice on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 08:00
by marygall
xx
New Hens have stopped laying

Started by Surferchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 17:51
by Surferchick
xx
Re: Hens stopped laying?

Started by sandyg on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 07:55
by joyfull
xx
Hens stopped laying

Started by davescatt on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2013, 10:00
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 38 queries.