Allotment cost - may I ask how much you pay per year?

• 23 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment cost - may I ask how much you pay per year?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 12:43 »
£40 a year for medium size plot.  Water included, no hoses - which is fine as that’s wasteful way of watering.  Responsible for maintaining paths around plots.

Must admit a slight hint of jealousy when I read of the extras people get... :)

geordiekev

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 13:51 »
looking at what some tenants pay and for what they receive for their rent payment has really opened my eyes. our local parish council collects £2400 in rent from us and spends less than £200. We have no security gates or fencing as such, toilets, skip hire, shop, electricity or tool hire but we do have water for which we pay £14 per year, and some councillors even winge about that. I have tried for over 9 months now for the council to fill in potholes and maintain the road that we use to access the site.... to no avail. We are not an association. We are basically a cash cow for the parish. Every year when we have travellers visiting the parish they fill up on our water, for which we pay for their theft. The council do not provide anything in the way of security. We maintain our borders. The council are basically "hands off" and some tenants are happy with that, and I can see their point, but this has led to many unkempt and badly maintained plots unknown to the council unless some of us actually complain about it. Yes we pay little and we get little in return.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 14:34 »
Alternatively they could build houses on it if you complain too much especially if there are too many unkempt and badly maintained plots - a good reason for them to say that they aren't really needed! >:(  A good reason to make sure that you have/create a long waiting list for plots!

geordiekev

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 17:51 »
They can't build houses on the site because it is not in a development area, and to be honest the local council would not want that anyway. There is too much development in other parts of the village. if only the council were more "hands on" and actually made an effort to police the site, but it is us who have to inform them about overgrown or abandoned plots..........then they send out warning letters.

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 20:24 »
They can't build houses on the site because it is not in a development area, and to be honest the local council would not want that anyway. There is too much development in other parts of the village. if only the council were more "hands on" and actually made an effort to police the site, but it is us who have to inform them about overgrown or abandoned plots..........then they send out warning letters.
There are many cases where a local council has decided to allow building on statutory alloment land.   Your best defence is ensuring an active allotment community.   How many plots does your site have?   We have 38 plots on our site but we have a small association.  Our activity has got us a new fence and together with other sites and involvement of councillors the maintenance and active monitoring and inspection of sites is now loads better and together with the police we now have an Allotment watch initiative.  It is a lot of effort for the committee, but we are all the better for it.

Should this be in grow your own or chatting on the plot?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 06:28 »
Reading these comments, I'm glad I don't have to deal with some of the 'politics' some of you guys have. Ours is a large site with hundreds of plots, gated, well run and with a society which you have to be a member of, don't have to get involved with. The site is one of many in Eastbourne, owned by the council but run fairly autonomously by the society. That's not to say there aren't issues with theft, rule breaking and vacant plots but issues appear to be dealt with quickly, and people are left to run their plots as they like pretty much. My £68 a year seems quite reasonable I suppose given this and the facilities on offer.

geordiekev

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 07:20 »
our site has 74 all told including half plots. Six years ago the council put forward a motion that we should manage ourselves. they booked a meeting hall many of us turned up, but the council failed to attend........and to this day they have not given us a reason. There is little interest in becoming a society or a self governing committee. Only 2 of us ever attend council meetings where we raise issues with them. We are not elected or anything of the sort, we just attend the meetings and the council sort of rely on us as an information conduit.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 16:41 »
I think I paid £16 (plus £5 for membership), last year for a half plot (I got a bit of a discount as it isn't quite a full 1/2 as someone elses shed was on my plot).  we have a toilet, parking and those auto filling water troughs every few plots.  we don't get rubbish removal though.  although we do get a really nice view of Windsor castle :D

missmoneypenny

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 11:51 »
I have half a plot 125m2 and pay £100. It’s in London ( no surprises about the high price then ). I’m not eligible for any discounts. We get water, horse manure and rubbish removal plus moving of grass on common parts. It has doubled in the 7 years I’ve been here. The council is just cutting back on services ( eg rubbish collection)  and clawing in more money  >:(
Still they’d have to prise my allotment key out of my cold dead hands.

xx
So, how much has this year cost you in money and time ?

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post September 03, 2014, 18:44
by Kristen
xx
Allotment cost

Started by Brightie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 10:50
by Ivor Backache
xx
Allotment performance going down year on year

Started by Julian Rees on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2023, 19:48
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
First proper year on allotment

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 20:07
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.