Wet sand

• 9 Replies

Chippet

Wet sand
« on: October 04, 2012, 21:04 »
I've had my hens about 2 months, I opted to put sand down in half their run as after weighing up the options seemed the best. However since all this rain  :blink: it's awful!! It's boggy, has pools of water and obviously smells a little, though don't think it's too bad.

The run is currently covered by a tarp, but it doesn't seem to be helping completely. I know they aren't that bothered having soggy feet, but cos I'm in a town I'm very wary that the smell is just gonna get worse!!

Is there anything I can do to help in the short term? Thicker layer of sand perhaps? It's probably about 2" at the moment, poss less in some parts.
I'm really considering putting shingle down in the long term cos they love playing in the shillies when they're free ranging.

wildwitchy

Re: Wet sand
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 21:46 »
 I'm getting mine up when I can. It ends up a smelly stuck together mess, even with contant washing. I thought it would be really good, especially because I wash the run down but never again. The only place it's good is in large areas, I have it everywhere else where they free range and its easily washed with the hose but its terrible in confinement.

I've got slabs down with sand & pea gravel round edges for drainage. I'm putting down some chipped bark for the winter as it will be warmer on their feet & just turn it over every now and then. I used it before and it was pretty good. When it needs changing, it's good for the garden then.

Oh ebay has sellers doing waterproof tarps, the blue budget ones are no good.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 21:54 »
using a powder disinfectant such as Stalosan F can help with smells and bacteria.
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 23:29 »
i've had pea shingle and to be honest it wasnt as good as i thought it was going to be. It just got compacted with the earth underneath and the poop got squished into it so you couldnt pick the poop without a shovel full of shingle. OK it washed down ok but then we had problems with standing / smelly water because i was probably over washing it down.

Mine are free ranging at the moment and one area they have has large gravel 45mm -50mm and that is much better. the poop doesnt squish into it and they can still scratch around.

I, not sure what the ideal solution is but when  :happy: we get around to building a fixed run for them (with roof) i think i'm goind to opt for slabs with wood chips for them to scratch in.  In the middle of the run i shall leave a slab free square so they can still roll in the muck. I did find that putting our hedge clippings down worked well. It was quite deep and they loved it. I raked it over and when the clippings started to break down i scooped it all up and composted it.

i find Stalosan is very good and instantly deals with any pongs

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:09 »
I buy Jeyes bin powder, when its on offer in bulk. That is good for stopping smells. I sprinkle that on the slabs after ive cleaned.

Chippet

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51 »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's larger gravel that I have going spare, not pea shingle, probably 20x30mm, we used it around our rockery before we got the hens and they love it, spend hours digging at it. I like the idea of the edge being gravel with something softer in the middle, might see if I can do that.

It's the blue budget tarp I have, so will look on eBay to get something better, it doesn't help we're on the coast, so the winds get pretty strong and the tarp has split in parts. I still have no idea why it is the middle of the coop that has the puddle though, the edge is fine?!

I already have stalosan which does help, problem is I don't like the smell of it, so i put it down and still think it smells bad, even if it doesn't....

I felt like I did so much research into it before I got them and now feel like its been wasted!

snow white

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 20:49 »
I have a proper metal roof built that could withstand strong weather.  It wasn't particularly cheap but keeps the run dry apart from when the wind blows the rain in.  I use wood chip and stalosen f or bio-dri.  I occasionally get whiff of a smell, but I put the stalosen down weekly (just a handful) and have had no real problems.  The woodchip is on a concrete base.  Every now and then (when it needs it) I sieve the woodchip of the dust and dried poop and put the dust in my compost bin.  If I wanted to I could hose it down as the run drains into a proper drain, but I prefer to keep it dry and smell free.  It has been down since May and doesn't look like it will need replacing anytime soon.  The Stalosen f keeps it hygenic.

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 23:48 »
The tarpaulin I have on top of my roof (plastic coroline roofing) is a heavy duty white tarpaulin off Ebay. It didn't cost that much and has been well worth it so far. I tie it down with cable ties attched to wire on the coop which makes it very secure. We've had some good gusts and it has stayed put. The holes are reinforced with metal rings. I'll send you a PM with the link.

Flossiej

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 16:32 »
Hi chipper, I'm also on the south east coast and live quite high with very high winds especially in the winter. We started out covering our walk in run with the cheap blue tarps but they just got shredded in the gales. I searched the Internet for 'heavy duty tarpaulins' and found a large brown/green tarpaulin from a company for around £40. It is made of heavy duty PVC and has been fantastic. Very quiet even in the strongest of gales. Comes with reinforced eyelets to secure to run with cable ties. It's beenmy best buy to date. It doesn't stop rain coming in at the sides of the run but the centre portion has remained dry all year.
Hope this helps. I would recommend the site but don't think we can name companies on here. Just search google, they are on the first page. Good luck. Flossiej x
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 20:41 »
I use comfy bed on the floor, it's used for horses so it soaks up all the water and smells. I put some down yesterday in the coop as I noticed it was getting muddy, no need to level it all out, I literally opened the huge bag and left it in a heap and within an hour they had spread it all out  :D

We have the run covered in triple wall and it works a treat
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

xx
Using sand in the run?

Started by Kytie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 10:23
by Kytie
xx
Is it a mistake to add sand?

Started by 4chooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 18:19
by 4chooks
xx
sand baths

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 08:36
by Sadgit
xx
Who uses play sand in their run?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 22:20
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 39 queries.